Friday, November 12, 2010

I Hate Lumpy Yarn.

Do any of you knitting people out there feel the same?

We got a baby's birth announcement in the mail a couple of weeks ago, when he was about 6 weeks old. My daughter volunteered to go select a great baby blanket yarn with my "little" boys (and stop for ice cream on the way, of course). She came back with this.

It was very bright and cheerful, but I didn't like it at all. It was hard to work with, because the extra yarn wrapped around the main strand was distracting. Plus, 3.5 ounces was only 72 yards, so it took 10 skeins, and I don't think this blanket was really big enough at 36"x42".

My daughter and Jeffrey both commented that it looks like Legos. They hope the baby likes Legos. I pointed out that at under 2 months, he likes his mama and not much else.

This is a close up of the blanket, for you knitters. I can't knit, but I can struggle along with crocheting. This was done with a G sized hook (the only one I could find).

And I asked Ryan to take one picture of the blanket, so I could email it to his sister, because she wanted to see how "her" yarn turned out. These are a few of the 25 or so he took before I threw the blanket over his head and my camera. The new camera is really fast! Hooray! It's like being back to pre-digital shooting!

15 comments:

Lapdog Creations said...

It does look like legos - and I love that last picture of you & the blankie! :)
As for lumpy yarn, I'm not much of a fan of working with it either...

SissySees said...

The lumps don't bother me nearly as much as that thin nylon thread you mentioned. Someone told me to crochet with such yarns because they weren't QUITE as annoying with a hook...

It's a lovely blanket! It's bright and happy, and yeah... it does look like Legos!

gMarie said...

Loves those photos! The blanket is fabulous! Enjoy it. g

Anonymous said...

I haven't knitted since I was 10, but it's something I'd like to try again. Legos or not, I love the colors.

Pam said...

Cute pictures and cute blanket. I heard bright colors are good for babies... it stimulates the brain or something???

Linda said...

I hate knitting......with lumpy yarn and especially hairy yarn. I think your blanket turned out well, I like it.

Sue said...

What a nice bright, happy blanket. Lumpy yarn does take getting used to.

Mickle in NZ said...

It has turned out beautifully, so bright and cheerful and looking so snuggly.

Anonymous said...

In our house, my kids called their blankets, "bubbies". It is the perfect size, especially for travelling and cuddles on the couch. I wouldn't say lumpy, i would say cozy!!

Joanne said...

i don't work much with yarn much but it does kind of look like legos. Maybe you'll influence the baby into being a legos fanatic!

pam said...

It does look like legos! I love it. And yes, I hate lumpy yarn!

HermitJim said...

It's not nearly as bad if you use a knitting loom! Works out pretty good with a loom, actually! At least the homespun does...!

monica said...

great colours - great pictures. love your great sense of humour :o)

Kapitein Haakje said...

well it's the perfect size for me! (el'bow)

and we love the smiling photo's :D

Kissslobbers
El'bow & Hauwii

Mylyne said...

I agree with your kids. The primary colors make them appear like legos. I stay away from lumpy yarns-- they're difficult to work with.