Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Blueberry Sour Cream Pound Cake

Last night, one of my daughters begged me to make pound cake. Since I love it, too, it was no hard sell. Since I'd seen blueberries in the supermarket ad for "buy one, get one free", I sent her after 2 boxes of them (along with 8 gallons of milk, to last until Friday). So, from the Better Homes & Gardens Cookbook, c. 1989 (y'know, the red checkered one), here it is:

BLUEBERRY SOUR CREAM POUND CAKE


1 cup (2 sticks) butter
2 cups sugar
6 eggs
1 cup sour cream
3 cups flour
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1 pint fresh or frozen blueberries.

Let the first 4 ingredients come to room temperature, about an hour. Beat the butter until soft, then beat in the sugar, 1/4 cup
at a time, until it's light yellow in color. Beat the eggs in one at a time, then add the vanilla. Sift together the flour, powder and soda. Add half the flour mixture, followed by half the sour cream, then the balance of the flour and sour cream. Gently stir in the blueberries. Turn into 2 greased and floured loaf pans and bake 60 to 75 minutes at 350. I used my 8x4 loaf pans, which I prefer (for no good reason), and these loaves were scrumptious. A full one disappeared last night, topped with sliced strawberries and whipped cream. Unfortunately, no photos of the whole dessert appear, because the kids snagged theirs waaaaayyyyy too fast for me to take pictures. Isn't that a hallmark of a delectable goodie?

4 comments:

Peter M said...

That's a mighty fine lookin' cake there Margie. The marbling inside looks real cool!

Paula said...

Oh, I wish I could have had a piece of this cake this morning! Isn't pound cake just wonderful?! It can do duty as breakfast, and easily fits in as dessert or a late night snack!

Marjie said...

Peter, the blueberries moving around in the batter made trails of luscious flavor throughout.

Paula, I'll make a pound cake (and so many other things) if you ever make it to the East Coast! One of the 2 I made disappeared that night, and the second was gone by 2PM!

test it comm said...

Blueberry baked goods are among my favorites and that looks really good!