Thursday, August 7, 2014

Herbed Chicken

I know it's Thorsday, and I'm supposed to do a Thorsday Book Review.  But the book I've been reading is nonfiction, complex, and making me think.  That hurts my pea sized brain, and I can't remember some other book to review, although I've read plenty.  So let's go with the chicken I made the other night - easy peasy.  It was inspired by the always-dependable red plaid cookbook.

HERBED CHICKEN

3 pounds chicken thighs (or whatever parts you love)
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
1/2 cup wine (whatever suits your fancy)
1 tsp onion powder
2 tbsp Italian seasoning (or a mix or oregano, thyme, basil and rosemary)
2 tbsp vegetable oil
1/2 tsp salt, optional

1 cup water
1 tsp chicken base
1/4 cup cold water
2 tbsp cornstarch

In the bottom of your broiler pan, whisk together the vinegar, wine, onion powder, Italian seasoning and, if desired, salt.  Add the vegetable oil and whisk until combined, then dunk the chicken, turning so both sides are coated.  Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for as long as you'd like before dinner (I think I had about 45 minutes), turning every so often so both sides marinate.  Preheat the broiler, then broil, skin side down, for 15 to 20 minutes.  Turn over and broil skin side up for an additional 10 to 15 minutes.  Test to be sure the chicken is cooked; if it isn't, cook a little longer. 

If you are or reside with a gravy-a-holic, remove the chicken to a plate and cover to keep warm.  Pour the fat off the broiler pan, add the cup of water and chicken base and heat to a simmer.  Whisk the 1/4 cup cold water with cornstarch, whisk into the pan drippings, and cook until thickened.  Return the chicken to the pan and return it to the oven for a few minutes to be sure it's hot.  Serve with rice and whatever green veggies you have handy (I used broccoli and spinach).

This turned out well, and it was pretty fast and easy.  It was a cool evening, so I didn't mind heating up the oven, but otherwise, you might want to wait until fall to make this.

Happy Thorsday, everyone!


7 comments:

Two French Bulldogs said...

Oh boy you must be an awfully good cool since our mouths are drooling
Lily & Edward

Lapdog Creations said...

Sounds absolutely De-Lish!

SissySees said...

For some reason, that reminds me of one of the few things my mother could make - a slow cooker recipe with chicken thighs. I don't know the recipe though.

Dexter said...

Good luck with that book. Those deep thinking books always bog me down.

Mango Momma

Rhodesia said...

Sounds pretty good to me. Have a good week Diane

Pam said...

Mmmmm. I bet the balsamic and herbs gave these chicken thighs a great flavor!

grace said...

that broiled skin looks AMAZING. what an interesting way to cook chicken--i haven't tried it yet!