Monday, May 2, 2011

Meatball Muffins?

No, not really. But that was Ryan's exclamation of horror when he saw them in the pans from across the room. Of course, the name stuck.

I needed a quick dessert that would travel well in the lunch bag, and muffins are always a good choice. Since I only had frozen strawberries, that's what I used, completely unthawed. Fresh ones would work, too.

STRAWBERRY MUFFINS
(a.k.a. Meatball Muffins)

2 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
6 tbsp sugar
1-1/2 cups frozen whole strawberries
1 egg
1 cup milk
1/4 cup melted butter

Stir the dry ingredients together. Slice the frozen berries in the food processor (or very finely with a knife), and stir them into the dry mixture to coat. Stir together the egg, milk and butter, and stir into the strawberry mixture until just moistened. Spoon into mini muffin pans, and bake at 375F for 14 to 15 minutes, until the toothpick test indicates they're done. Makes about 4 dozen.

And trust me, the 4 dozen don't last long. I think there might have been 15 left over after the hordes descended upon them, and those disappeared first thing in the morning.

(You can make these in standard sized muffin pans. I just prefer mini muffins, because then I can eat 2 or 3 and not ruin the perpetual diet!)

12 comments:

Diane said...

I have not made muffins for ages. Our cherries are just ripening I will see how cherry muffins work. Diane

Lapdog Creations said...

Strawberry muffins sound delish!

gMarie said...

they don't look like meatballs at all! Silly boy. g

Pam said...

I happen to have fresh strawberries in my fridge... mmmm!

Linda said...

They "sound" good. I make something the Bossman calls Brown Dookers.......now THAT sounds bad.

pam said...

Muffins are my dessert of choice. I like them because it's easy to take them to lunch with me the next day.

Jennifer said...

Great Idea I have strawberries!

Big Dude said...

It's hard to beat strawberry anything

The Blonde Duck said...

I do make meatloaf muffins. :)

Mickle in NZ said...

yay - a solution to the container of chopped strawberries that I keep knocking from the freezer onto my foot!

Pleas pass on our caring thoughts and purry huggles to your college girls for exam time - especially to Shannon with her law finals, Michelle and Zebby, xxx and sleepy purrs

SissySees said...

I have to make those for the Knight. I think I have frozen strawberries in the freezer...

Sue said...

We've had some wonderful, sweet strawberries this year. The muffins are a good idea.