Last spring, I bought my stretch velour from Fabric Mart, and spent enough to get a free "10 Yard Mystery Bundle." Included in it was a plaid, and I decided that it would make a good bias cut skirt. Then I put the fabric away for nearly a year.
So, when Faye extended her challenge to include bottoms, I knew I should pull that plaid out. It was marked as 1-3/4 yards, but their cuts are always generous...
So I drafted a skirt pattern based on a favored a-line skirt, added 1" to each of the seam allowances, as the books I consulted said I should do, cut, hung the pieces overnight, constructed, and discovered that I needed to take 4" of the 6" I added back out. *sigh* The challenge skirts have been fitting problems all along.
So, I made the bias cut skirt. I prefer plaids that run diagonally, and this one will be great in the fall (gabardine being to heavy for summer wear, and in dark colors, to boot). It looked good with the short sleeved green top from Faye's challenge.
There was so much fabric left over that I made a straight skirt oriented normally. Matching plaids is never a good time. I haven't worn it, and likely won't until October, but I didn't do half bad with the plaids, even here at the zipper (where fabrics can - and do - move).
So, now, on to summery clothes! I'm working on a light blue dress that I hope I can finish to wear for Thor's birthday on Thursday. OK, maybe it's overboard to celebrate your dog's birthday, but mastiffs don't generally live to be 10 years old. Hooray for Thor!