Sunday, March 30, 2008

"You Can't Fry Stawberries!"


So cried several of my children when they saw me with the skillet in one hand and the strawberries in the other. But "fry" them I did, and they were universally hailed as a great success.

In the paper last week, one of the food columns pointed out that "out of season" strawberries often lack flavor and juiciness, and offered this recipe for sauteed strawberries. They suggested layering them with plain yogurt, but I opted for the exquisitely caloric option of using them for a topping for pound cake and vanilla ice cream.

SAUTEED STRAWBERRIES

1 tbsp. butter
2 tbsp. brown sugar
1 tbsp. lime juice
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
1 pint strawberries, sliced or quartered.

In a skillet over medium-low heat, stir together the first four ingredients; heat until bubbling and slightly thickened. Add the strawberries, and heat for about 2 minutes, stirring often. Serve immediately.

Also, note that, for the record, my dessert was the piece of plain pound cake barely visible in the bottom left corner of the picture. I just don't like my foods mixed together, and can't stand soggy cake.

And while contemplating my children who were slightly disgruntled at the treasonous idea of "frying" strawberries, I wondered why people are often disgruntled, but never gruntled. Further investigation in my dictionary revealed that the word first came into use in the 1600s, derived from the middle English word "gruntlen", or to grunt. Which further leads to the thought that the prefix "dis-" means "opposite of", so disgruntled doesn't really mean what it should. Hmmm. And this kind of thought process is why my dearly beloved husband laughs at me.

No comments: