Thursday, January 3, 2008

Banana Cake

When my last grocery delivery came in, I had 20 pounds of somewhat bruised bananas. Of course, all of the kids bellowed something to the effect of "EEEWWWWW!" (yeah, we've all heard that some time or other). I made a lot of banana bread, banana cream pies, banana pudding, and one day, I decided to try Banana Cake. I found a recipe in my 1960s McCalls cookbook, tweaked it a little (I have a mental block against using shortening as an ingredient), and frosted with chocolate butter cream frosting, reminiscent of chocolate covered bananas. It was gone in under a day. This piece was the very LAST corner, all that was left at 9AM the next day.

BANANA CAKE

2-1/4 cups flour, sifted
2-1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1-1/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup oil
1 cup mashed banana (3 to 4 small)
1 tsp vanilla
2 eggs
1/2 cup sour milk (1-1/2 tsp lemon juice with milk to make the half cup, stirred)

Beat eggs and sugar together. Add all other ingredients. Beat 2 to 3 minutes, until smooth. Turn into greased and floured 9x13 pan and bake at 350 for 40 to 45 minutes, or bake in two 8" layers for 30 to 35 minutes. Cool completely before frosting. Sliced bananas can be used with frosting between layers, if this is baked as a layer cake. Very moist and rich. I'd prefer it with whipped cream frosting or buttercream frosting, as recommended in the recipe, but two of my sons pretty much refuse to eat anything which doesn't have a lot to do with chocolate, thus the chocolate buttercream concept was born.

No comments: