Thursday, December 13, 2007

Pineapple Upside Down Cake

Between photos of snow, I thought I'd sneak in last night's dessert. I had some leftover canned pineapple, and thought I'd make a somewhat different cake. My youngest loves pineapple, so I made this for him (and he didn't like the pineapple topping - go figure). I used the chopper blade for my food processor to mince up the pineapple. This is what was left after my hubby went back for seconds. It's now gone; he declared it a fine breakfast.

PINEAPPLE UPSIDE DOWN CAKE

Topping (Bottom)
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 cup chopped pineapple

Cake:
1-1/2 cups flour
3/4 cup sugar
2-1/2 tsp baking powder
3/4 cup milk
1/4 cup oil
1 egg
1-1/2 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp salt

Generously grease the bottom and sides of a springform pan with the flat disk installed. Sprinkle the brown sugar evenly over the bottom, then spread the pineapple over that. Note that you can insert maraschino cherry halves before the pineapple, but I can't bring myself to serve or eat food that is quite that bright red; it would, however, make a much prettier picture than mine.

For the cake, mix all ingredients together i a mixing bowl; beat for 2 minutes, then pour on top of the pineapple. Bake about 30 to 35 minutes at 350, or until cake tests done. This takes much longer than most cakes of this size, probably because the pineapple slows the cooking time.

As a shortcut, you can use about half of a yellow cake mix instead of my recipe. Use 1-1/2 cups cake mix, 1 egg, 1/4 cup oil and 3/4 cup water, beat 2 minutes and proceed as above. Serve with whipped cream.

No comments: