Monday, December 17, 2007

"Beans Beef"


I don't know what this is actually supposed to be called; my kids named it "Beans Beef". It is based on a real recipe from a real cookbook somewhere back in my dim memories, maybe 10 to 15 years ago. It's easy to cook, and works well with rice or pasta. This is my "small family recipe"; I cook almost double this when all 4 of my big boys are home.

BEANS BEEF

3 pounds steak, cut into strips
1 minced onion
olive oil
garlic powder
oregano
1 pound green beans
2 tomatoes, cut into 1/2" cubes
1/2 pound mushrooms, sliced
1 cup water
2 tbsp. flour
1/4 cup red wine
1 beef bouillion cube

Partially cook the green beans - I do mine in the microwave for about 4 minutes, while the meat begins to cook. Heat the pan, then put in the olive oil, diced onion and meat; season with garlic powder and oregano. Cook under the broiler for 2 minutes, turn and cook another 2 minutes. Dissolve the bouillion cube in the water. Whisk the flour with the wine, mix with the beef bouillion mixture, and pour evenly over the beef in the pan. Add the beans, tomato and mushrooms, stir well, and put back under the broiler for about 3 minutes, or until vegetables are cooked. Serve with rice or pasta - my photo shows it with penne pasta. This is easy, fast and good.


No comments: