Monday, August 20, 2007

Ice Cream Sundaes!


The idea isn't new or original. But it is summer, after all, despite the fact that we never topped 65 degrees this weekend. One of my girls wanted ice cream for dessert last night, so she and a sister went to the supermarket, and brought back Keebler Waffle Bowls while they were there. Inspiration for Mom!

Back to the beginning: Friday was beautiful, so I laid out and cut out a summer dress from a piece of fabric I've had for several years, which reminds me of a watercolor of flowers. Then the power went out. Naturally, the older kids promptly went out and got fast food for dinner; we played Outburst and Cranium, then went to bed early. Finished my dress Saturday, and was determined to wear it Sunday. Who cares if it's 62 degrees and cloudy! The calendar says it's August, and that means summer! Of course, I roasted a turkey breast to warm up the kitchen, and then my daughter wanted ice cream.

I love to make sauces to create interesting desserts. I've put this sauce over ice cream, yellow and white cakes, and even "Brownie Tuesdays" (another day's item). It goes well with chocolate or vanilla based ice creams, and even with coffee ice cream! Of course, I top it with home made whipped cream - might as well pack on the calories. On Monday we can all diet.

CARAMEL SAUCE

1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1 tbsp cornstarch
1/2 cup water
1/3 cup cream
2 tbsp corn syrup
1 tsp vanilla
1 tbsp butter

In 2 cup measuring pitcher, stir together brown sugar and cornstarch. Add water, cream and corn syrup, stirring after each addition. Microwave until thick, stopping to stir every 30 seconds - it usually takes under 2 minutes in my microwave. Stir in vanilla & butter, and ladle over ice cream, cake or (choose your own confection). Top with whipped cream.

No comments: