Monday, August 13, 2007

Homestead Bread


I got my first bread machine at least 10 years ago. In that time I've progressed from being only able to follow the "dump it and forget it" recipes to using my bread maker mostly as a mixer. Last night, to go with the roast turkey breast, rice and veggies I served Homestead Bread. This is adapted from a 1950s McCalls cookbook (I think). It's light, and not at all sweet; we finished one loaf last night, and 2 of the boys took chunks out of the middle for sandwiches.

Homestead Bread

1-1/2 cups warm water
4 cups flour
2 tbsp. vegetable oil
1 tbsp. sugar
1 tsp salt
3 tsp yeast*

Sprinkle the yeast on the warm water (should be around 100 degrees). Add all other ingredients and mix until dough is smooth (usually around 15 minutes). Divide dough evenly into 2 loaf pans; let rise near to top of pan. Bake at 375 about 23 to 25 minutes, until browned as you like it. This loaf was baked for 23 minutes. Note that if you want the bread to rise faster (in about 30 minutes), use 6 tsp yeast instead of 3. If you make this in the bread machine, it's a 2 pound loaf.

I make bread once or twice a day: almost always for dinner, and often I set English Muffin Bread on the delayed timer. It's much easier to get up in the morning when there's hot bread waiting.

No comments: