Monday, March 16, 2015

Happy Belated Pi Day!

Saturday was Pi Day, and it was the ultimate Pi Day: 3-14-15.

I know you've all been listening to me tell you about Pi Day for years now, and so you all celebrated, right?  Right?  OK, maybe Mango Momma celebrated.  The rest of you are not engineers or number fans; I understand.

Jeffrey came home to see Ryan, and brought a friend, so, of course we had to celebrate Pi Day.  And we celebrated in style.


I made my "classic" chocolate mousse pie, which is really a chocolate cream pie with extra whipping cream in the custard, but "mousse" sounded ever so much more exciting when my children were all yea high.  Plus, I piped the whipped cream into cute little flowerets or whatever those round things are called, so I'm sure I get extra credit for that.

See?  Ryan gives me extra credit!

The other pie was a Lemon Angel Torte.  Jeffrey "hates" meringue, but he sure did love this, as did his father.

LEMON ANGEL TORTE

4 egg yolks
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/2 tsp lemon extract
1 tbsp butter

4 egg whites
1/2 tsp cream of tartar
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract or lemon extract

Whip the egg whites with the cream of tartar, 1/2 cup sugar and the extract until stiff peaks form.  Spread in a well greased 10" pie plate.  Bake at 275F for 45 minutes to 1 hour, then turn off the oven and leave the torte shell in the oven until it cools (or at least an hour, until you get impatient).

Meanwhile, combine the sugar, lemon juice and lemon extract in a saucepan.  Whisk in the egg yolks, then cook over medium-low heat until the mixture thickens and bubbles.  Remove from the heat and whisk in 1 tbsp butter, and let cool before spreading in the torte shell.

Top with whipped cream, if you wish (I did wish) and serve.

This came from my "Complete Family Cookbook", an old trusty standby, and is my entry for Cook Your Books in March!

So, Happy Belated Pi Day, everyone!  If you didn't celebrate on Saturday, it's not too late!

8 comments:

pam said...

I didn't celebrate, since I don't make pies! I wish I could have had some of your!

kitchen flavours said...

Wow! Lovely pies! You did celebrate in style, and a delicious style one too! What a fabulous cookbook! 2023 recipes!! Thank you for sharing with CYB!

Tami said...

Your pies look fabulous. My daughters made a wonderful lemon meringue pie, since my son that doesn't like meringue wasn't home it was fine. And we watched pi videos with numberphile. You might like his one of calculating pi with pies. :) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNiRzZ66YN0

Anonymous said...

I've probably said this before, but Ryan makes me smile; he looks like the sunniest guys in the world.

Pam said...

Both pies look beautiful and tasty! We didn't have pie on Pi day but I thought of you.

I can't believe how old/big Ryan is! Time sure flies by fast.

Sue said...

We celebrated Pi Day this year. I had never thought about it until I met you but now we look forward to it every year.

Big Dude said...

I believe you did pi day proud and I could have gone for both of them.

STELLA and RORY from Down Under said...

Howdy Marjie. I didn't make pie as such but I did make a chocolate cake for our son's birthday. Me. Made a cake! Our eldest daughter took over the birthday cake making when my dear dad passed away. Up until he passed he always made the family birthday cakes. She was away working and wasn't home for the day. I think my husband would love the lemon tart. I will have to give it a go won't I. No worries, and love, Carol (and Stella and Rory)