Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Cookbook Wednesday: For Bread Machines

From time to time, Louise's Cookbook Wednesday posts have been about cookbooklets.  And last week, Poppy posted about a recipe book that came with knives.  That got me to thinking about my new bread machine and its predecessors.  The first ones came with some half decent cookbooklets.

The first bread machine I bought was in the late 1990s.  It made a 1.5 pound loaf in about 4-1/2 hours.  It came with this spiffy little book, which has a fairly sturdy cover - standard paperback book cover material.


 It included the basics about the ingredients used in bread,
 and some recipes.


It wasn't long, but it was functional, and its recipes were good.

The second bread machine made a 2 pound loaf in 3 hours.  Oh, happy day!





Its recipe book was 3 times the size of the book that came with the original machine.  Its cover wasn't as good, as you can see from the water damage to it.

But it included color pictures!

I'm not sure where someone came up with the idea for chocolate yeast raised bread.  Sounds suspicious to me.  Plus, they clearly didn't include proper instructions, since the source of the chocolate is chocolate chips, and they don't specify melting them.

Dough setting recipes are included, too.

I don't have many appliance recipe booklets, but I've kept every one I ever got.  Maybe it's time to look through them again.

Happy Cookbook Wednesday, everyone!  Pop on over to see Louise and check out what she and others have to offer.


11 comments:

Sue said...

M machine is a Betty Crocker 2 lb machine also. It's the second because the first died while still on warranty. My recipe booklet is much smaller and less fancy than yours but the recipes are great.

Mae Travels said...

The famous Zingerman's bakery (or at least they think they are famous) makes a couple of chocolate yeast breads, one with chunks of chocolate and also dried cherries, right in the dough. Possibly, that's what your bread cookbook had in mind. Who knows?

I've never had a bread machine. Bakeries always seemed to do such a good job -- maybe I'm lazy.

pam said...

I've got all my old bread machine cookbooks too. Still use them.

Nellie said...

Thank you for your visit to my blog. You are entered in the giveaway!

I had a bread machine for several years, but never replaced the last one. We actually gave it to one of our daughters, and I think she is probably on a second or third one from that one!:-)

Anonymous said...

Have you ever shown us your cookbook bookshelves? I'd like a peek.

Lapdog Creations said...

Have I mentioned how much I wish you were my neighbor lately? ;)

Rhodesia said...

Love my bread machine and its old cookery book as well :-) Have a good weekend Diane

Rhodesia said...

Love my bread machine and its old cookery book as well :-) Have a good weekend Diane

grace said...

my grandma had a bread machine that i used to love to use--it was like magic! nice finds. :)

SissySees said...

The Knight was all about our bread machine for a few weeks. After years in the pantry, it moved in with a grad school friend and has since moved to Maryland. When I do make bread, I like the manual labor, but I did keep the cookbooks.

Pam said...

There is nothing better (to me) than freshly baked bread. I love my bread machine!