Sunday, September 19, 2010

Treadle Sewing

Well, the furnace isn't fixed; they're promising Monday, but we'll see...fortunately, the temperatures have rebounded; it was 65 yesterday, and it's 72 today, so at least we're not freezing. And we have hot water, so I'm not boiling water to wash dishes...another plus!

Recently, Ryan has been playfully hollering at me because he says I "never" use my treadle sewing machine. So yesterday, I made him take pictures as I was hemmi
ng some jeans for my dearly beloved.
Closer up proof that I actually use my 101 year old beauty. And I'll tell you what, it goes through many layers of Levi's denim like nothing else I've ever used. And since I have oiled every joint in this baby several times, it just hums right along!

Hope you're all having a great weekend! See you tomorrow (I hope, furnace men not throwing curve balls my way)!

14 comments:

Tatersmama said...

Well, I hope the weather continues to hold for you - untill you can get that furnace fixed anyway!

Oh how I wish that I still had my old treadle sewing machine! I loved that thing because it did such a great job of going through multiple layers. I made living room curtains once, and had to pull the treadle out and use it - because the electric sewing machine just wasn't doing the job.
;)

Sarah said...

I used a treadle when I was a child! But not since. Good for you for keeping this old beauty.

Dexter said...

Thor! You said dodo bird in your comment on my bloggy. That is too funny. As far as that sewing machine. Your mom is some kind of witch isn't she? I mean she can make clothes and cook with any thing that she finds. I am so impressed. I am sending my mom your way next time she tries to do something on her own. She is useless!

Slobbers,
Mango

pam said...

I have my husband's grandmother's treadle. I really want to get it working again. Unfortunately I don't even know where to begin!

Linda said...

Ha! My house is at a balmy 45*F....the furnace war is one and I might HAVE to use my treadle machine just to keep my circulation going.

Faye Lewis said...

Nice looking machine. My Great Grand Mother gave me hers, only problem is that it at my Mom's house in New York and I'm in Georgia.

Diane said...

My Mum had one of these but I have no idea what happened to it:-(
Hope the furnace soon gets fixed. Diane

A.Marie said...

Whoa! I didn't even know that people used those machines anymore...My Grandma had one then my Mom had it, but I don't know what happened to it. I think that if I had one of those machines, then I might enjoy sewing. The machine that I have has so many fancy buttons and dials, I don't know where to begin! :)

SissySees said...

What a beautiful machine, and yes, it's rather similar to the one I used as a little girl. Hope the furnace is repaired post-haste. We're to have 90s again in another day or two.

Lapdog Creations said...

What a beautiful machine!

Kapitein Haakje said...

sanne loves that machine :D
she got a old one to a sunger from 1980 :D she cant miss it
and she doenst like the machines that they make now its all plastic ugh

Kissslobbers
El'bow & Hauwii

The Blonde Duck said...

You're hardcore dude!

gMarie said...

Way to work those calf and shin muscles and keep warm at the same time! Look at you go. Someday - when we have that B&B, I'm going to look for a treadle that works. g

Sue said...

One of my friends has an old treadle machine and uses it all the time. She swears it runs better than any of the newer ones.