Friday, September 24, 2010

Earl Grey Tea Ice Cream

Do you like tea?
Do you like honey?
Do you like ice cream?
Are you on a diet?

Only kidding. I don't know any woman over the age of 25 who isn't on a diet, and men don't worry as we do.

Seriously, this ice cream is much lower calorie than that which I normally produce, and, therefore, "diet-ish". Just like the cake earlier this week, only more diet-ish. Really.

EARL GREY TEA ICE CREAM

2 tbsp tea leaves, Earl Grey or some other strong black tea
1 cup boiling water
1/2 cup honey
1 egg yolk
1 tsp cornstarch

3/4 cup cream
1-1/4 cup milk

1/4 cup orange juice

Pour the boiling water over the tea leaves and let it sit for 15 minutes. Strain. While the tea is still strong, whisk in the honey, egg yolk and cornstarch. Cook in the microwave for 2 to 5 minutes (depending on how fast yours goes), stirring every 30 seconds, until the mixture begins to puff up. OR, for Pam and other ice cream non-cookers, just whisk in the honey a
nd skip the egg yolk and cornstarch, and don't cook it. It'll just be a different in texture, I promise. Whisk in the milk and cream, and then the orange juice, and chill for about 3 hours. Process according to your ice cream maker's directions.
If you don't have an ice cream maker, don't whisk in the cream. Chill the mixture in the freezer until it starts to turn slushy, beat the cream and whisk it into the base. Then freeze it until it's solid. It'll work fine, I promise.

See? Little cream, less milk. Diet-ish.


Word of warning: If you don't like a strong honey flavor, use 1/4 cup honey and 1/4 cup white sugar. Then just stir the sugar in with the boiling water and tea leaves so it dissolves. And there you go! A cup of tea along with your ice cream; what could be better?

Have a great weekend, everyone!

11 comments:

Lapdog Creations said...

Oooh....... that sounds SO interesting. I still haven't taken our darn ice cream maker out of the box yet..... sigh.

gMarie said...

First - I love that you served it in a beautiful tea cup.

Second - thanks for the instructions for those of us without ice cream makers.

Finally - I might actually try this one! Sounds yummy. g

Big Dude said...

That sure is an interesting recipe - bet it was good.

Linda said...

I'll have to try this....when I was a kid (a LONG while ago) we used to make tea and put ice cream in it.

tavolini said...

Neat-o! Thank you so much for giving instructions for those w/out ice cream makers.

The boutique ice cream shop down the street has a green tea and rosemary ice cream--I think you are ahead of the trend :)

Sarah said...

This has way less fat than regular ice cream. The honey will make it smooth. Sounds great. Would love to try it.

Diane said...

I am not so sure about this recipe, neither Nigel or I like tea, we only drink herbal. Diane

Mickle in NZ said...

Mmmmm, Earl Grey tea and cream. I'd need to cut back on the sweetness as I truely don't have a sweet tooth these days. (Dad's bread is made with a yeast mix that includes a little sugar, and I really notice it). Your recipe can easily be scaled down to Mickle size - I just need to make some room in the freezer, lol.

Sending happy huggles to a home with a functioning furnace again!!! Happy dance time from me for you all.

Anonymous said...

Tea and ice cream seem counter-intuitive. But no, they're intuitive. Green tea ice cream is my favorite, though I'm sure this one is wonderful.

Chef Dennis Littley said...

that sounds like a wonderful blend of flavors for ice cream!! I would love to try it, even though I am on a diet....sigh.....right now I am on my see food diet! when I see it, I eat it!!

SissySees said...

Love it. Must have some, very soon. Wonder if the Knight found his ice cream maker yet?