Monday, June 28, 2010

Refrigerator Soup

No, it's not quite "throw household appliances in a stockpot with water and there you are!" But it's close.

Friday night I wanted soup and grinders for dinner, and so I went rummaging through the refrigerator. Because some of the kids had been missing during the week, I had some extra meat tucked away - that never happens! And so you get this great little concoction...

REFRIGERATOR SOUP

about 3/4 pound beef, diced
8 cups water
4 beef bouillon cubes
8 ounces canned diced tomatoes
1/2 cup dried vegetables
2 carrots, grated
1 large onion, minced

about 1/4 pound spaghetti or angel hair, broken in bits
a good handful of chives

In a large pan, dissolve the bouillon cubes in the water. Add the chopped up meat, carrots and onion; simmer for about 15 minutes. Add the dried veggies and diced tomatoes; simmer another 15 minutes. Add the broken pasta pieces and chives; cook 5 minutes and serve.

I had mine with a nice piece of French bread; others made their bread into ham and turkey grinders. This was easy and delicious on a lazy Friday night - and good lunch for a day or 2 thereafter!

14 comments:

SissySees said...

The Knight won't tolerate soup again until late fall. Sigh...

Paula said...

I'm always ready for a bowl of soup ... especially in cute bowls like the one in your photo!

Sue said...

I love a bowl of soup, especially on a rainy day like yesterday. That looks so good.

gMarie said...

Oh I love soup - all the time. Your soup mug - fabulous! g

Kapitein Haakje said...

yum yum yum

Kissslobbers
El'bow & Hauwii

Tatersmama said...

It's definite soup weather around here (down to -3 this morning) and since I have a nice piece of steak left in the fridge... hmmm. This sounds like an excellent dinner to me!

pam said...

This is my kind of soup, made from bits of this and bits of that.

Lapdog Creations said...

Sounds delish... but in this nasty heat, I just can't imagine any hot soup at the moment...

Claire S. said...

It sounds delicious, but I'm with Channon's Knight - no soup til fall.

Diane said...

Great idea to use up all the bits and pieces in the fridge. Yummy. Diane

Mickle in NZ said...

Hooray - you got to have a well deserved semi-holiday from cooking. I hope Thore got to taste some too.

Sarah said...

I like soup at any time. But I have never heard of grinders? I'm curious as to what they are.

buffalodick said...

I tend to put too much stuff in my soups..this looked just right!

grace said...

excellent way to make a little room in the fridge, marjie! incidentally, the term 'grinders' is awesome. :)