Friday, June 25, 2010

Almond Joy Pie for a Picnic


Every year, Louise sponsors a "Virtual Picnic", in which people post recipes for things they'd bring on a picnic. I snagged the letter A this year, but didn't want to bring the tried, true and much loved apple pie. So I came up with something a little different.

I'm going on a picnic and I'm bringing....Almond Joy Pie!

ALMOND JOY PIE

1 pie crust (premade or my best pie crust ever)
4 eggs
2-1/2 cups milk
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp coconut extract
3 tsp almond extract
1 cup shredded coconut
1/2 cup finely chopped almonds

slivered almonds to top

Preheat the oven to 450F and bake the pie crust for 5 minutes. Remove from oven. Beat together the eggs and milk, then add the extracts and sugar. Beat 1 to 2 minutes, until well combined. Stir together the coconut and chopped almonds, and spread in the pie crust. Pour the egg mixture over the coconut mixture, and sprinkle the top with slivered almonds. Place in the oven, reduce the heat to 350F, and bake for
45 to 55 minutes, until the custard is set.

I was going to melt some chocolate and drizzle it over the top of the pie, but (a) I didn't feel like waiting for the pie to cool, and (b) I'm just not that big a fan of chocolate mixed in my food.
My daughters want this pie again, with the chocolate on top, but the boys are not fans of coconut. Bonus! They won't pig it all down! Good thing I made them a cake, right?

Actually, family lore has it that an Armenian immigrant was sponsored to enter this country by my grandmother's father, and he invented the Mounds bar. Because my grandmother was very allergic to eggs, he made a special batch of his candy for his sponsor's little girl without eggs. Decades later, my grandmother told me that she had been frightened by this man's appearance, because his face was heavily pockmarked, and given his kindness to her, she'd always felt badly about her fear. No one is left alive to verify this story, but the name of the founder of that candy company would lead me to believe that this is a legend that's probably true. In any event, it's a nice story, and this was the inspiration for my pie.

For more Virtual Picnic foods, be sure to visit Louise! She'll have a complete listing next week.

Hope you all have a great weekend!

18 comments:

gMarie said...

Okay JB loves coconut so I might actually make this one. g

Johanna GGG said...

mmm coconut and chocolate would get me running for a slice - I love bounty bars - wonder if they are similar to the bounds bars - and I love coconut ice too so would love this without chocolate - and anyway the name alone would be enough for me - delightful

~~louise~~ said...

Oh Boy! Almond Joy Pie!!! Just perfect Marjie. You know how much I adore chocolate, I think I'd go with a bit of a drizzle:)

Thank you so much for playing the Picnic Game. I was just thinking today that we first "met" around Picnic Game time last year when you "brought" that cool Ice Cream in a Bag.

It's going to be a wonderful picnic!!!

buffalodick said...

I would enjoy those flavors in a pie!

grace said...

i was gonna ask, where's the chocolate? i can understand how one might be averse to including it, but me, i'd pour it on! or perhaps some pieces lining the crust? any which way you slice it, this is a great pie. :)

SissySees said...

That's a must-make as is for us, but like another reader or two, I'm thinking my slice wants to be bathed in dark chocolate...

Heather S-G said...

Oh Yum! I'm definitely eating a slice of this at the picnic ;) I think I would go for the chocolate drizzle, as well...deeeelicious!

The Blonde Duck said...

Ben would LOVE this. I always get him Almond Joys as a treat from the grocery store!

Lapdog Creations said...

Oh what fun... everyone loves a picnic! :)

Anonymous said...

in a word.. Yum... 'specially coconut.. might have to try this for some arriving guests.. thanks!

gp

Sue said...

Yup, we both love almond joy bars, and now Gaylen has gotten us hooked on those little almond joy pieces. I need to print out this recipe, but I'll definitely add a layer of chocolate. Chocolate goes with anything, just like pearls.

Juliana said...

Oh! What a lovely pie, it is sure yummie...look forward to try it at the picnic ;-)

Rochelle R. said...

Oh my that sounds so good. I would put chocolate on mine for sure. I am going to have a great time at this picnic!

Karen said...

This looks utterly delicious!

Janet Rudolph said...

This looks incredible. Can't wait to try it!

Chats the Comfy Cook said...

I vote for the chocolate also but it does look good without the trimming.

Jann said...

My gosh this looks delicious!

Lynn said...

I came over from Louise's blog. You had me at Almond Joy ;) This sounds yummy. I would have to add in the chocolate, though. Maybe a layer drizzled over the crust before putting in the filling. Anyway, great idea for a pie. Thanks for sharing it :)