Wednesday, April 27, 2016

Cookbook Wednesday: Shortcut Cooking

Again, this is a cookbook I think I've mentioned before.  But more and more people these days are finding cooking time extremely limited, while still wanting good food.  Our old friend, Betty Crocker, has the solution for all of us.

SHORTCUT COOKING FOR THE SMART COOK
circa 1991

I found this at a bookstore while shopping for books for my kids for Christmas, and added it to my pile (the place was much too small to even consider having baskets).  It's been a very good resource for me.


It has both Fix it Fast and Fix and Forget sections, each divided into categories for such marvels as main dish salads, soups, pasta....you get the idea..

 Some pages just contain recipes.
 Others have glorious pictures, which always make me feel that my finished product is not nearly as attractive as I'd like.  Where are the cookbooks with the "This is what it will look like on your plate" pictures?  (Yes, I know both Pams and Larry put out pretty plates, but I have hungry hordes who won't wait.)

 So, this cookbook comes to mind this week because of this beautiful and delicious (not to mention super easy) dessert.  Seriously, it's right up everyone's alley.  You mix it in the baking dish, and only dirty one fork and one measuring cup.

APPLESAUCE SNACK CAKE

1-2/3 cups flour
1 cup packed brown sugar
1-1/2 tsp ground allspice (I used 2 tsp whole, which I crushed)
1 tsp cinnamon (my addition, because I felt it was necessary)
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup applesauce
1/2 cup water


Spray your 8x8 or 7x10 pan liberally.  Put the dry ingredients into the pan and stir to combine.  Add the oil, applesauce and water, and stir with a fork until well combined.  Bake at 350F for about 35 minutes, until a toothpick stuck in the center comes out clean.  Top with:

ORANGE SAUCE

1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup orange juice
2 tbsp whipping cream

Melt the butter, add the remaining ingredients, bring to a boil on the cooktop and simmer until the sauce thickens.  Or cook in the microwave in a 2 cup glass measuring cup; cook until the sauce thickens slightly.  Spoon over the warm cake.

I added whipped cream.  Mark hated it (but you all know he hates everything).  Ryan liked it so well that he took Mark's right out from under his nose and ate it.
 (Again, not as pretty as the cookbook picture, but that's OK).
 This is Cookbook Wednesday, and I"m linking up with Louise for this event!
Happy Wednesday, everyone!

7 comments:

Two French Bulldogs said...

Oh that looks fantastic
Snorts,
Lily & Edward

~~louise~~ said...

Oh Marjie, I think the purpose of pictures in cookbooks is to reassure us that we are NOT the pros and shouldn't expect our pictures to look "picture perfect."

Too pretty to eat doesn't sit well with me. Comfortably delicious is more up my alley, lol...And yes, that Applesauce Snack Cake looks warming to the tummy both in ingredients (no eggs) and "style." I'd go without the whipped cream but Ryan has the right idea:)

Thanks for sharing, Marjie and thank you for joining Cookbook Wednesday:)

Lapdog Creations said...

You had me at "shortcut"! :)

Rhodesia said...

Any thing that speeds things up has to be good ! That recipe sounds very yummy. Have a good weekend Diane

grace said...

mmm, i love a snack cake like this, and what a sauce! shortcut cooking is my specialty. :)

Pam said...

It looks like a good cookbook.

Your photos are great... my children would tell you that having a warm meal that may not look as pretty, is way better than a cold meal that looked nice while being photographed. Which is why, I always get the pretty, fancy, cold meals.

The cake looks delicious!

Sue said...

I like those books with quick and easy recipes. Do you have a favorite 'go to' book for all occasions?