Thursday, January 22, 2015

More Books on Thorsday!

My oldest son just bought a house near where he's teaching - he closed the week before Christmas.  So, a couple of days after Christmas, several of his brothers and sisters formed into a parade of sorts, and went to see the first house purchased by a brother.

While there, they went touring around the area, stopped at an antique store and purchased a couple of pieces for the new house, and brought me some presents.


Aren't they pretty?  These white ones are a complete set of the works of Mark Twain, published in 1917.  I have to find a permanent home for them, where they can be seen and admired.

The red ones are a mini set missing 2 volumes.  They've already found a home in a corner shelf.  They were published in 1914. I love books to read, but there's a lot to be said for pretty books, as well!

No actual book review this week.  I read The Aviators by Winston Groom, and while it started out very promising, it turned into sort of a history book, and I just skimmed the last 100 pages.

Happy Thorsday, everyone!

12 comments:

Two French Bulldogs said...

Mom remembers those books
Lily & Edward

Sue said...

Those are pretty! I have a couple of ancient sets of Dickens that people have found for me at estate sales and I do love those pretty little sets.

pam said...

I love pretty sets of old books!! Especially love the set of Mark Twain!!!

STELLA and RORY from Down Under said...

Hi Marjie. There's something about old books that is just so appealing. I've bought old books just for the feel and look of them, some I've read and others not. When my Dad passed away he had a huge collection of books which we all shared between us (I have four siblings) and the ones no one else wanted I took too. I always wish Dad had rated them because I know some of his favourites but other books I wonder if they had any sentimental meaning for him, because I can't bring myself to pass them on. Heaven help our kids when we go because we've about five times more than my Dad had! Enjoy your reading. No worries, and love, Carol and Stella and Rory
P.S. You are like one of my daughters because she can't bear to look at Rory's foot either :-)

Pam said...

I am excited for your son!

Those books look beautiful - what a great collection! I love that your kids got them for you.

Anonymous said...

Complete works of Mark Twain? I'm so jealous.

SissySees said...

Pretty books! Good boys, to know just what to get for you. Congrats too to the new homeowner!

Diane said...

Love that set of Mark Twain books.Good luck to your oldest son and his new home. Have a good weekend Diane

Anette said...

Just looking in to say hello! It's been a long time! Hope you and your family are ok!
From Anette in Norway

Dexter said...

A beautifully bound book is even more fun to read.

Mango Momma

Claire S. said...

New house - congratulations ! I can just imagine everyone trooping through checking everything out :-)

Anonymous said...

Off topic, but is this storm to end all storms about to hit your general area?