Friday, January 16, 2015

Dan's Chili

While Dan was home for 2 weeks at Christmastime, he decided we should make chili.  I made chili often as a teenager, because my parents loved it (undoubtedly in no small part because it was cheap to make), but haven't made it in over 35 years because my dearly beloved has a great aversion to beans.  In any event, Dan and Ryan convinced him that he wanted to try chili, and so we made a big batch, using the recipe Dan has developed for himself.

DAN'S CHILI
(small batch)

2 pounds ground beef
2 large sweet onions
1 tsp salt
1 large sweet potato, diced
2 cans (28 ounces each) diced tomatoes
1/2 can water
2 tbsp chili powder
1/2 tbsp cumin
1 tsp ground black pepper
1 can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
1 can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed

In a large stock pot, brown the ground beef with the onions and salt; add the sweet potato while the meat is still browning.  Drain the meat mixture and rinse with cold water to remove the fat, then return to the heat and add the tomatoes, water and spices.  Cook about 30 minutes, add the beans and cook another 10 minutes until the sweet potatoes are soft and the beans are heated through. 


Serve with shredded cheddar cheese on top, if desired, and bread.

We made a double batch, and Dan and Ryan had it for lunch the next couple of days.  They love it, and my dearly beloved and Mark grudgingly admitted that it was OK.  That's a win from bean haters, right?

Happy Friday, everyone!

9 comments:

Big Dude said...

Looks like a good batch - I like the sweet potato addition. 35 years without making chili - WOW.

STELLA and RORY from Down Under said...

Hi Marjie, it sounds delish. Healthy as well so win win. Hope your weekend is a good one. No worries, and love, Carol, Stella and Rory

SissySees said...

I have to try it! I think you know I love sweet potatoes.

Sue said...

I used to make chili often. Now it's been at least a year. My favorite recipe is the one in the Heart Association Cookbook. I'm also not crazy about beans but they're good for you and chili is so good on a cold day.

Anonymous said...

Cumin is an inspired addition.

~~louise~~ said...

Dan's Chili....it has a nice ring to it, lol...The ingredient combination looks pretty darn good too. I guess you have a couple of bean chefs in the family:)

We've been eating more beans around here lately but no chili...I'm not sure Marion is up to it yet. Well at least the hubs and Mark tried it:)

Thanks for sharing, Marjie...

P.S. No show on Marion's relatives...

Claire S. said...

Looks good. I'm with hubs and Mark, I don't much like beans. Finally working up to it, though. A recent lentil soup was a success - maybe my tastebuds are finally growing up LOL. Hubby says he doesn't like chili, but it could easily be lunches for me.

Pam said...

It's a TOTAL WIN if they thought it was okay!

I love that he put sweet potatoes in there... I've never thought of doing that!

Rhodesia said...

Nigel is the chili maker in this house,will pass on the recipe. Keep well Diane