Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Cookbook Wednesday: Famous Foods?

Remember when there were recipes on the back of everything, and people would tear them off the cans, cartons, bags or whatnot?  And then they'd throw the recipes in a drawer, and before you knew it, there were 487 scraps of paper in that drawer, being tossed about and mixed up?

Yeah, I don't remember that.  My mother couldn't cook.  But it must have happened somewhere.  And this cookbook memorializes those days, and actually simplified the process!

Jeffrey found this cookbook for me at a used book sale a good 10 years ago.  He picked it up, noted that it was a good deal for 50 cents, even though it was falling apart.  And then he told me that if I didn't like it, he'd keep it in his room until he had a kitchen of his own.  Silly boy!  As if I ever ignored a cookbook that came my way.

This former beauty was published in 1961 by Saran Wrap (it says so on the cover).  Recipes come from all different food and spice companies.  They're split into categories - appetizers, soups, poultry, bread, cookies, and so many more!  I just flipped it open to where the pages had broken out for you.



I've actually made these Batterway Yeast Rolls (and some other Batterway recipes from the previous page, too), and they are darn good.  I'm thinking they're on the menu for Superbowl Sunday.

There are a small number of pictures in this book, too.  This is another break in the binding, and this picture reminded me of Louise's post on Irish Coffee a few days ago.

So, there you have it - another oldie, but goodie!  And best of all, it saves me from having 487 scraps of paper falling out of that drawer all the time!



This is my contribution to Louise's last weekly Cookbook Wednesday, at least for the time being.  I plan to continue featuring cookbooks on Wednesday, although my collection is nowhere as extensive as many of yours.

Happy Wednesday, everyone!

15 comments:

Poppy Crocker said...

I love the Batterway Whole Wheat Bread recipe! I used to make a big batch of it into rolls, freeze them, and take one to school every day for lunch when I was a teenager. The bread recipe I use today is actually based on that recipe, but I've modified it so many ways that nobody would ever guess my recipe is related to that one. I'm not so sure about the "Prune 'N Spice" variation!

Thanks for sharing!

Two French Bulldogs said...

It must be interesting to read how the ingredients and foods have changed, or have they
Lily and Edward

Sue said...

I have the somewhat newer version of that cookbook and use it all the time. Mine has pictures on almost every page and I've found some of our favorites in there.

Nellie said...

I have enough cookbooks to last through many more Cookbook Wednesdays myself!:-) This one of yours looks very interesting. Some favorite recipes that have endured through the years come from books like that one.

~~louise~~ said...

If you could only see the big fat grin on my face Marjie!!!

You see, I have been going through those "487 wraps of paper" for what feels like months now. (although it probably has been weeks:) Yes, I save them. As a matter of fact, I was just telling Mae that I was thinking of takng a break from Cookbook Wednesday for a while and then restarting with something like scrap recipe Wednesday or some day, lol...I was actually wondering if anyone else had all those clippings. Now I think perhaps they do:)

If not, why would such an "oldie but goodie" be so cherished by young (Jeffery) and a wee bit older (You and me and others)

It may be tattered but it sure seems to have ignited a spark in some of your visitors including me!!! GREAT choice Marjie!!!

And yes, you are more than welcome to use the logo and whatever else you would like. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem like I can transfer my link up tool to you but if I figure out how I will let you know. If you have any ideas, let me know:)

Oh Marjie, Cookbook Wednesday sure has been FUN! I feel like it has brought so many of us closer together. Something cookbooks are just meant to do either by table or virtual it seems they haven't lost their touch:)

Thank you so much for participating and for all your encouraging words and thoughts. And thank you for sharing such a unignored cookbook:)

Catherine said...

I love old cookbooks. They have the best recipes without skimping on ingredients and the ingredients are simple and straightforward. I am glad you will carry on the cookbook Wed. xo Catherine

Catherine said...

I love old cookbooks. They have the best recipes without skimping on ingredients and the ingredients are simple and straightforward. I am glad you will carry on the cookbook Wed. xo Catherine

Big Dude said...

I believe that first paragraph described my mom and I can specifically remember the soup can recipes.

grace said...

i'm glad that book found a good home and didn't get tossed by the wayside!

Anonymous said...

Yes, my mom had one of those department store wardrobe boxes filled with labels, scraps, type-written sheets, recipes written on cocktail napkins, and the like. Thanks for the memory.

STELLA and RORY from Down Under said...

Marjie, I have 487 scraps of paper etc with recipes on them in a folder hehehe, and I don't like cooking very much which is even more funny. We have a very old cook book from WW2 which was printed over here called Green and Gold Cookery Book. If I can I'll send you some photos from it. It's wonderful. No worries, and love, Carol

SissySees said...

Being a good bit alike, you know I don't have scraps of recipes in a drawer, but I do have my grandmother's recipe box, which features quite a few scraps torn from wherever...

Claire S. said...

You have some very cool cookbooks ! My Mom had lots of those scrap recipes pages. Hmm I've got a collection myself :-)

Margaret Ullrich said...

Marjie, This cookbook sounds fantastic!!

You’re so right about those brand name recipes being important. One of my most popular blog posts is for a cheesecake recipe that had been on the back of a milk carton for many years. The company shut down a few years ago and people were searching for it.

As the song says “You don’t know what you’ve got till it’s gone!”

Dexter said...

My mom made a lot of stuff using the recipes on cans of condensed soup. Looking back, I feel some pangs of guilt over the way we often snubbed her attempts to try new things.

Mango Momma