Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Cookbook Wednesday: Menus by Craig Claiborne

Louise has started a new thing: Cookbook Wednesday!  I decided to try participating, although I don't have exciting cookbooks like hers.  My first entry ties into a celebration we're planning hereabouts.



This is my New York Times Menu Cookbook by Craig Claiborne.  Jeffrey found it at a used book sale a long time ago, easily 10 to 15 years ago, and insisted that I buy it.

As you can see from this page, good old Craig list menus for every occasion, celebrations on this page.  Others include breakfasts, luncheons, holidays, parties, etc.

So what's so special about this page?  Who saw the movie Meet the Fokkers?  Yes, the Fokkers are coming to my house.  Shannon and her longtime boyfriend are officially engaged!  His parents and grandparents wanted to meet us, we are hosting first the mother's side, then the father's side, likely Friday and Saturday of Thanksgiving weekend, for an early (3 to 4PM) dinner.  Now, to figure out what to cook!  Doesn't Craig's engagement party menu look good?  Of course, there's another menu cookbook in contention; you'll have to wait until next week to see it!

Happy Wednesday, everyone!

15 comments:

pam said...

How exciting!!! I'm sure whatever you make it will be wonderful!

Sue said...

Congrats to Shannon and Natasha. Meeting the families is one of the events it's best to get over quickly as I recall.

~~louise~~ said...

This is all soooo exciting Marjie! Engagement parties are such fun to plan. You seem to be taking the planning in stride which is a very good thing. I'm sure you are expereinced in these kinds of things and will have everything that is able to be made in advanced tucked away in one of the freezers:) It's a bit much for Thanksgiving weekend but heck might as well get it all done at once.

The engagement menu looks fairly easy and quite elegant presentation wise. Although, I must say, I am eager to see the other choice.

Thank you so much for joining in Cookbook Wednesday, Marjie. You can never go wrong with a selection from any of Craig Claibornes's recipes.

Thanks for sharing, Marjie...

Anonymous said...

Whichever you choose, as always, I demand your menu. And the shopping list.

Two French Bulldogs said...

You could easily participate with all your good food
Snorts,
Lily & Edward

Big Dude said...

I'm sure they will be glad they came to your home for a meal and meet-up

Pam said...

Congratulations to Shannon! How exciting. Looking forward to seeing photos from the engagement meals and what you will be serving.

Lapdog Creations said...

Congrats to Shannon, and to the Mother of the Bride to be!

Mae Travels said...

Hi Marjie,
I'm glad you have such a happy occasion to celebrate... and that you have decided to join in on Cookbook Wednesday. Whatever Louise leads is bound to be lots of fun, isn't it?

I don't have that Craig Claiborne book, but I am familiar with his work and have even read a biography. He was an interesting character.

grace said...

it's an exciting time! meeting the in-laws is scary and thrilling all at once. :)

Rhodesia said...

Bet it will be fun whatever you cook. Have a great weekend Diane

SissySees said...

I'm sure you'll come up with a perfectly lovely menu that will make the first go at blending their families a success.

Sarah said...

Wow, the kids are growing up fast. I can hardly wait to hear and see all the pics in the upcoming months.

Karen Luvswesavory said...

Hello Marjie,
Think this my first time dropping by to say hello. Congrats and I could feel the joy and excitement too. Can't wait to see the engagement meals and what you will be serving on the special day.
Have a great week ahead ^-^!

Claire S. said...

Wow, I'm waaaayyy behind on the news - Congratulations to Shannon ! I see you've got the plans well in hand, I can just imagine how full your fridges and cupboards are :-) have a great Thanksgiving week !