Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Garden Tuesday: Trees on a Hill

This is one of the big blue spruce trees in the middle of my lawn.


No, I wasn't drunk or stupid when I took the picture.  It's on a hill, so the ground runs that way.

This is one of about a dozen maple trees we had dug up from the woods at the bottom of our yard and transplanted as 1" to 2" diameter saplings (bare root) in very early 1990.  I'm always amused at how the trunks have twisted so the trees are growing straight toward the sky, instead of perpendicular to the ground.

My kids laugh at how I have stories about so many of our trees.  I tell them that's what happens when you share your home and life with a tree fanatic, and stay in one place for a quarter of a century.

How about you, do you think of some of your trees fondly?

Happy Garden Tuesday, everyone!

12 comments:

astudentgardener said...

I understand where you are coming from and have great affection for all the trees on my property and a "trees" board on Pinterest.

~~louise~~ said...

HI Marjie!
I LOVE trees but you would never know it:) The only trees in the yard are the ones that boarder the neighbors yard. I'm not even sure if they are mine or theirs. They make a fabulous back drop for the garden and the birds just love hiding in them and chattering too:)

That Blue Spruce is a beauty. I really need to choose some trees to plant but I just haven't gotten around to it. Maple would be nice:)

Thanks for sharing, Marjie. Did you hook this post up to Pam's Garden Tuesday???

Anonymous said...

When I give a tour at the Huntington Library, I always point out how the mansion is off-true to the garden, by about 10 feet. And that's because Huntington loved trees, and rather than chop down an old oak, when building, he told the architect to save the tree and move the mansion.

monica said...

I too am a fan of trees, the way they can go on and on for years, and their majestic look. A tree can actually calm you down, I think...

Big Dude said...

The blue spruce may be my favorite tree and I'm considering planting another one.

Two French Bulldogs said...

Beautiful spruce
Snorts
Lily & Edward

Pam said...

I do think of my trees fondly. One of the main reasons I love camping so much is that I can be around so many huge & different trees. Your blue spruce is a beauty.

Sue said...

We love our trees and spend lots of time with them.I love blue spruce but they don't do well around here. Yours is gorgeous.

Rhodesia said...

What fun and yes I love our trees as well, sadly we have not got as big a garden as you but we do OK. Hope you are all well Diane

SissySees said...

Oh, you know I love trees too - so those photos are wonderful! I bet at least one of your children is a tree lover too?

(I might covet your blue spruce a bit. It was my favorite tree in our yard as a child.)

pam said...

I think of all my trees fondly. We have a slew of hickory trees - which also explains the slew of squirrels that we have!

grace said...

most people take our trees for granted, so i'm glad you know what's what!