Monday, July 21, 2014

(Almost) Health Food Pizza

Late last week, my dearly beloved was bemoaning the fact that there was "nothing good" to eat in the house and he can't ever have good food again.  (To be fair, he and his sons always wail about the fact that there is "no food in the house" and yet can't tell me what would constitute food, other than perhaps pounds upon pounds of cooked meat sitting in the fridge, awaiting their consumption).

So I decided to show him that (a) he can have good food, and (b) upon half an hour's notice, or thereabouts, I can produce something from "nothing".

ALMOST HEALTH FOOD PIZZA

1-1/2 cups warm water
2-1/2 tsp olive oil
1/2 tsp salt
2 cups regular flour
2 cups white whole wheat flour
1 tbsp yeast
olive oil for brushing
sauce
oregano
shredded mozzarella

Pour the water in your bread machine bucket or mixing bowl; sprinkle with the yeast, then add flour, salt and olive oil.  Mix according to my directions over there --------> (or in any way that makes you happy).  After the dough has been mixed and kneaded for about 10 minutes, until it is smooth and shiny, remove from the bowl, split into 2 and roll out onto 11"x17" baking trays.  Brush the tops of the crust with olive oil, spread sauce over the crusts (I used leftover spaghetti sauce from the previous night, because I have never bothered to remember that cooking pasta for 5 requires considerably less sauce than pasta for 11), sprinkle with oregano, and top with shredded mozzarella (I used about 8 ounces per pizza).  Put into a cold oven, set for 425F, and walk away for 20 to 25 minutes.  It will rise, it will cook, it will smell drool-worthy, and everyone will be happy.


Note: you can add cooked meat, onions or whatever before sprinkling on the cheese.  I dislike onions, can't eat peppers and despise mushrooms, so those are out of the question.  I also didn't add ground beef in an effort to control the cholesterol content.  Feel free to splurge, if you'd like.  But it was great "as is".

After making a smaller batch for lunch one day, I made the double batch for dinner when the newlyweds were passing through.  Everyone loved it.

So there you are, in about the time it takes to phone in an order and go fetch it, you can have fresh, piping hot, Almost Health Food Pizza!  Glad to help you out.

Hope you're all having a great Monday.

9 comments:

pam said...

Well, I bet that made him happy!

~~louise~~ said...

Why the almost? It seems pretty healthy looking to me and surely healthier than takeout! I'm glad the men "folk" were happy with this whiz in the oven pizza, Marjie. I'll be saving this link. I'm planning my menu for when my daughter, Jason and the kids come. Anything that can be on the table that quickly certainly deserves a place on the menu!

Thanks for sharing...

P.S. I rarely, if ever, eat pizza, lol...

Pam said...

Mmmm. Look at that melted gooey cheese. Who needs meat! It looks great Marjie.

SissySees said...

Pizza is a food group here and the Knight likes mine, but we've never settled on a crust recipe. I'll report back!

Big Dude said...

I believe you fixed them right up.

Two French Bulldogs said...

We could always pretend
Lily & Edward

Lapdog Creations said...

It's amazing what can come out of "nothing," right? Looks delish too!

Claire S. said...

oh man, that looks good !!!
Enough so that I just plugged the recipe into a recipe calculator to find that it certainly does fit into what I can eat these days - and the addition of veggies just helps. If I make a double, I can add the green peppers and pepperoni that Bob likes and one with just veggies for me. My Saturday supper is planned :-)

grace said...

that looks amazing! perfect ratio of sauce to cheese to crust!