Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Garden Tuesday: Copper Beech

Have you ever seen a copper beech?  I'm not sure I had before we moved here.  Even now, I don't usually notice ours, because it's nestled in a corner of the property where the driveway and house are both looking away from it.


 Looking across part of our lawn toward our property line you can see it.


It's the tallest thing out there, and it's reddish purple. 

Aren't the leaves interesting?

My dearly beloved says it's certainly 300 years old.  For reference, the fence behind it is made up of 1" square steel bars spaced 6" apart.

Don't you love to just look up the trunk of a tree, through the branches?  Unfortunately, I'd brought my telephoto lens instead of the wide angle lens, and there was no way I was walking the half mile round trip back to the house, even to entertain all of you.  Sorry.

I hope you enjoyed my Copper Beech.  It's been a good friend to us for a long time, and to many others since before Thomas Jefferson and George Washington were born!

Happy Tuesday, everyone!

10 comments:

SissySees said...

Beautiful tree. I am a big tree fan, but I'm pretty sure you knew that.

Catherine said...

Beautiful tree. It really would be something if the tree is 300 years old!!
Have a beautiful week. Blessings, Catherine

Big Dude said...

I've not seen one one these trees but it provides a good contrast to the others around it. Your grounds always look so pretty - I especially like the second shot with the blue spruces in it.

Lapdog Creations said...

Beauteous! Those leaves are really cool.

Anonymous said...

Very dramatic.

pam said...

What a gorgeous tree!!!

Two French Bulldogs said...

Mom use to have one in her yard in NJ. So pretty
Lily & Edward

Pam said...

Great photos & beautiful tree. I don't think I've ever seen a Copper Beech before.

Heather said...

My favourite tree, there is one in the churchyard close to where I live in Newark UK. It was probably there when Cromwell hit the church with cannonballs over 400 years ago. It is absolutely magnificent at this time of year and it makes me smile whenever I walk past it.

Sue said...

It's beautiful. I love the deep red leaves amongst the green ones. We planted a plum and more recently a Norwegian Maple to get some of that deep red color.