Thursday, April 26, 2012

Whole Wheat and Oat Rolls

After the nor'easter blew (or crawled) through here earlier this week, it's been cold.  So I was happy to spend quality time with my oven, making a new type of roll.  Of late, the boys have been asking for rolls for their lunches, instead of bread, and I'm happy to say that it's no problem at all to make them, other than the fact that they don't all come out exactly the same size!

WHOLE WHEAT AND OAT ROLLS

1-1/3 cups warm water
3 tsp or 6 tsp yeast*
2 cups flour
2 cups whole wheat flour
5 tsp gluten powder
1 cup oats (regular or quick)
5 tbsp powdered milk
1/4 cup egg beaters (or 1 egg)
2 tbsp vegetable oil

Dissolve the yeast in the water in your bread machine bucket or mixing bowl (*use 6 tsp if you want them to rise faster), then add the remaining ingredients in order.  Mix according to the directions in my bread making tutorial (link to the right).  Let sit 15 minutes after the first kneading, then remove from your bowl and place on a floured counter.  Divide into 16 even pieces, and place on greased baking sheets.  If desired, brush the tops with a little warm milk, then let them rise until approximately doubled in size.  Bake at 350F in a convection oven or 375F in a conventional oven for 14 to 18 minutes, until they're nicely browned.

Not only were these good with our roast chicken dinner that night, they made great sandwiches the next day.  They were also excellent microwaved with butter with the boys' eggs for breakfast.

On a humorous note, did any of you hear about the bears invading the weather forecast here a couple of nights ago?  I was watching it.  That station is right next to a ski resort, so it's no big shock that there are bears around there!  Here's a link if you want to see it.

Happy Thorsday, everyone!

12 comments:

SissySees said...

That's funny!! Go bears!!

And pass me a couple of those rolls, with some real butter, please and thank you?

Pam said...

The rolls sound great and I want to try the recipe soon. I love that plate too, very charming!

Linda said...

I like rolls (we call them buns up here b.t.w.) that make good sammies.

Unknown said...

this is perfect breakfast this morning, I told my Mom to bake this for Us :D


Dog Shock Collar | Puppy & Human Bond

Dawn @ Words Of Deliciousness said...

I love home bread. These rolls sound fantastic.

Diane said...

I love home made rolls and these sound perfect. Thanks Diane

Mickle in NZ said...

Oh my! We don't have bears here.

Blond Duck said...

What is gluten powder?

Lapdog Creations said...

I love that you made extras for sandwiches... great idea!

Anonymous said...

Hah! Over on this side of the world, the bears are always diving into peoples pools. They look mighty cute swimming around.

Pam said...

The bears are so cute! The rolls look excellent - I bet they made great sandwiches. I love the added oats.

grace said...

egg beaters! i haven't had any of those for so long! outstanding rolls, marjie. :)