Monday, January 9, 2012

Sweet Potato Muffins

So, we've been told to eat less cholesterol, less sugar, blah, blah, blah. I've been working on this for a while, now, and it's just plain not as easy as it would seem.

with all that in mind, I decided to use up some leftover sweet potatoes from the fridge to make some muffins. These were good, although some of the kids commented that they could've been a little bit sweeter. Next time, I think I'd add 2 tablespoons of white sugar to the batter.
SWEET POTATO MUFFINS

1 cup white flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
2 tsp baking powder
2 tbsp powdered milk
4 tbsp brown sugar
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 cup mashed, seasoned sweet potatoes
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup water
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup finely chopped nuts

Stir together the dry ingredients. Add the wet ingredients, including the swe
et potatoes, and stir until well combined. Stir in the nuts, then spoon into greased or paper lined muffin tins. sprinkle more chopped nuts on the top of the unbaked muffins, along with about 1/4 teaspoon of white sugar. Bake 14 to 18 minutes, until a knife inserted in the center of the muffins comes out clean. Cool slightly before serving.

Despite the comments of these work quite sweet enough (my daughter specifically said they tasted more like bread than muffins), the two dozen I made were gone the next morning. I think that's a pretty good review.

9 comments:

Pam said...

I think they look tasty! Love the last photo of the muffins.

SissySees said...

We love sweet potatoes. I might whip some right up...

STELLA and RORY from Down Under said...

Hi Marjie, those muffins look great. We must try them. Thanks for the recipe. No worries, and love, Stella and Rory P.S. Do you ever think about getting another dog? We love your header of Thor!

Two French Bulldogs said...

We know we will like these things
Benny & Lily

Linda said...

How did you know I had left over sweet potato to deal with?

Rita said...

These look so good;love sweet potato and happy to find a new way to enjoy them
Rita

~~louise~~ said...

I adore Sweet Potato Muffins which is rather unusual since I've recently become averted to sweet potatoes in general. (I hope it's a passing phase:)

May I make a suggestion? Try applesauce in place of the oil. You probably won't need to add more sugar and they are just as moist. Perhaps even more so.

Thanks for sharing, Marjie. (I'll take clouds over snow any day, this year anyway!)

grace said...

it's amazing what a simple smattering of sugar atop a muffin will do for it. these look great, marjie!

monica said...

One thing is what they say - another thing is what they do...