Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Garden Tuesday: Inside Herbs

For Christmas, I started chives, mint and purple basil plants for one of my daughters. Of course, I started them about 5 days before Christmas, so I just gave her pots of dirt. But she put them on a sunny windowsill, and she's got actual wee plants now.

So I decided to bring some summertime into my kitchen with the same herbs. Planted 3 weeks ago, they really show no progress.

Except for this one itty bitty purple basil sprout! Maybe with the days getting a little longer, they will all get enough light from my north-facing kitchen window to start growing.

Oh, and the problem with the pencils? The eraser caps can be detached if pulled hard enough, and so the poor little high school children might try to swallow them, and choke. (I think if you're trying to eat an eraser at 18 years of age, you have bigger issues than pencils.)

Happy Indoor Garden Tuesday, everyone!

10 comments:

The Blonde Duck said...

Those people are pencil nazis.

pam said...

I love that you gave her pots of dirt!! How funny! But with the promise of good things to come.

Pam said...

That is ridiculous! What 18 year old would do that? Crazy!

I need to plant herbs in my kitchen window nook. Great idea!

SissySees said...

Wow. Talk about far-reaching...

But that purple basil sprout is awesome. Makes me want to go buy different shoes and wear my purple dress...

Mickle in NZ said...

Grow herbs, grow - that daylight is only going to increase each day from now.

Surely the eraser could be just as easily removed from the slimmer pencils? Now, to bring a smile to your face - in New Zealand erasers are more commonly known as rubbers!

Diane said...

Health and Safety has just gone mad!! I have no room to grow herbs indoors so if they cannot make it in the garden they have had it! Diane

Rita said...

I have tried many times to grow herbs indoor and it never worked for me, so now I anxiously wait for spring.
Rita

Lapdog Creations said...

What happens if the same kids tear pages from books and try to eat the paper? Can't they choke from that as well? pptth

I real;y need to start an indoor herb garden myself...

The Blonde Duck said...

Happy Thursday!

Claire S. said...

Catching up...

Good luck with the herbs. Sadly, my attempts at indoor herbs have been completely unsuccessful so far.

Love the measuring cups - so pretty !

I've never seen that brand of pencils here - maybe they were outlawed because of the danger factor ? LOL How stupid !!!!