Friday, November 11, 2011

Calvert School's State History Course

I bought the Calvert School PA State History course for my youngest son last year, and never did use it. I have been able to find time this year, and he's been enjoying it.

Tuesday's assignment was for the child to draw a map of the state. My boy decided this was boring, and made a 3D map.

He knows the mountains go farther north than this in Pennsylvania, but he put his mountains on the south central border, where they are the highest. He also made a tiny paper capital building for Harrisburg, and towers for the most important cities in the state: Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Scranton and Erie. Allentown wasn't important enough to him to try to shoehorn it between Scranton and Philadelphia.

And I love that he made rivers, too. While it's certainly not complete geographically, the little guy had fun. And that counts for something in school, right?

And Happy Veteran's Day to all of our veterans and their families. You are always in my thoughts.

12 comments:

Big Dude said...

It's always nice, and a good sign, when a kid wants to go the extra mile. All he needed was the near volcanic eruptions at State College - such a shame.

SissySees said...

I can't get over how much older he looks in just over a year.

Dexter said...

Well done!

Two French Bulldogs said...

great job kid
Benny & Lily

Sue said...

I've always liked maps and now I like to cross stitch them. I've done a couple states and I have a map of Europe to do one of these days. I like that he did a 3-d map.

STELLA and RORY from Down Under said...

We always found if its fun you remember it. Well done buddy. No worries, and love, Carol (and Stella and Rory)

Mickle in NZ said...

Now that is a fun way to show what you've learnt - reminds me of colouring in maps of Africa in geography when I was 16 (!)

Linda said...

He's creative like his mother;)

HermitJim said...

A little fun in school certainly never hurt anyone!

Good map making! You must be doing something right to make him smile like that!

Tell him "well done" for me!

gMarie said...

Wow - that's pretty impressive. Now I'm starting to understand why everything is "2 hours awasy!" g

ps - love your new headed photo.

Anette said...

What a clever boy! I love that he made it in 3D!

Diane said...

That map is fantastic an so much better than an ordinary one. I am impressed. Diane