Tuesday, September 4, 2007

French Bread


This has to be one of the easiest breads to make. I use my bread machine for the mixer (as always, because the lid on top keeps the flour from fluffing out and coating everything in the kitchen), then form the loaves, let rise and bake. It's an easy ingredient list, the bread is soft and goes well with most anything, and, best of all, it makes great grinders. My son and daughter took a total of 3 loaves, turned into turkey & ham grinders, back to college with them (he took two whole sandwiches, she took two halves). They were happy, because at least they have decent food to help them through today (and they brought last night's dinner back with them).

FRENCH BREAD

1-1/2 cups warm water
3 tbsp yeast
4-1/4 cups flour
1-1/2 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp honey
1 tsp salt

Use 6 tbsp yeast if you want the bread to rise in about 20 minutes. Mix all ingredients, split into 3 loaves. Let rise, bake at 375 for 16 to 18 minutes, depending upon how dark you want it. Mine, shown above, was baked for 16 minutes.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I got the urge to make your bread today, despite being totally unprepared and clueless. :o) It turned out pretty good! Before I try again, I need to ask: How long should I knead the dough (I'm doing this by hand)? How long should I let the dough rise? Thanks!

Marjie said...

I've done it by hand, too. Start with the warm water in a bowl, add the yeast and let it sit for 2 to 3 minutes. Then stir in the oil, honey and salt, and then the flour with a wooden spoon. After it becomes a solid, you can knead it on the counter for about 5 to 10 minutes. Sprinkle flour on the counter, and keep a cup or so of flour handy to add to the dough if it becomes too sticky. If you use a "double does" of yeast, which is what I do (6 tsp instead of 3 tsp), it should rise in 15 minutes. Let me know how it comes out!

Anonymous said...

Thank you! We're going to try again next week. I must have done something right yesterday ~ 2.5 loaves have been eaten already.