Thursday, September 27, 2007

Beef with Broccoli & Oranges


Steak gets boring.

There. I've written the three words my sons would possibly (likely) construe as blaspheme.

I decided to see what I could do with plain steak to make it more interesting, in about 30 minutes. This is what I came up with. I was inspired by stir fry, but I don't eat peppers (they make me sick), I don't like heavy spices, and I don't want to operate several skillets at once. I also love color, vivid color, and looked for complementary, bright foods. I served this with plain white rice and Pizza Tomatoes (a Pierre Franey recipe, the correct name for which escapes me, because the kids renamed them for their flavor).

BEEF WITH BROCCOLI & ORANGES

2-1/2 pounds steak
1 pound broccoli
1 small can mandarin oranges
1/2 pound sliced mushrooms
1 stick butter
2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/2 onion, minced
salt & pepper to taste
2 cups orange juice
1 beef bouillon cube
2 tbsp cornstarch

Before starting the meat, parboil the broccoli, so it won't wilt under the broiler. The rice should be nearly finished before the beef is cooked.

In the bottom only of the broiler pan, melt the butter. Add minced onion and put under the broiler for about 1 minute. Cut the steak into strips and place in broiler pan, flipping to coat both sides with butter & onion. Sprinkle with half each of the garlic powder and ginger. Place under broiler for 3 minutes. Remove from oven, and pour some of the pan drippings off into a saucepan. Turn the meat, sprinkle with the remaining garlic powder and ginger, add salt & pepper to taste, add the broccoli, oranges and mushrooms and stir together. Return to broiler for 3 minutes. While it cooks, whisk the cornstarch into the pan drippings in the sauce pan. Pour in the orange juice, which can be preheated in the microwave to shortcut the process, and whisk until smooth. Add the beef bouillon cube, and whisk until heated and thickened. Pour over the meat and veggies in the broiler pan and return to the broiler for one minute. Serve with white rice. My husband's comment? "Try to remember how you did this!"


No comments: