Thursday, September 20, 2007

"Family Day"

I must be really out of touch with the "real world". In several of the grocery ads in my newspaper this week, they are saying that next Monday is "Family Day" and urging everyone to eat dinner with their children. I've always insisted that everyone who is in residence in my household must show up for dinner every night, unless they have a dinner date. As a result, all of our kids talk to us, and to each other. The ones in college phone each other several times per week (Thank you, cell phone company, for the "In Network"). They've fully realized the wisdom of my statement that friends can drift apart, but family is forever. Am I the only person left in the world stuck in the family dinner mentality of the 1960s and before?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're not the only one. We eat together every night and plan on doing so for a long time.

"Family Day." I hope I don't sound judgmental, but I think that's so bizarre. I guess I shouldn't be surprised though. When I get the chance to talk to other parents, they often share how crazy their schedules are. Kids seem to be involved in so many extracurricular activities, I can't figure out when they get their homework done.

Marjie said...

I found it bizarre, too. And I don't understand why people overschedule their children so. They're only kids once, and they have their entire adult lives for overscheduling.