Friday, October 14, 2016

Winnie The Pooh Day and Hot Chocolate

On October 14, 1926, A. A. Milne first published Winnie the Pooh.  And we have all been enriched by Pooh's simple delight in the world:

"You can't stay in your corner of the Forest waiting for others to come to you.  You have to go to them sometimes."

See? Lovely sentiment.

Wednesday afternoon, Mark came home from school with a sore throat.  By 7PM, he was headed to bed, having eaten scrambled eggs and toast for dinner, and he slept for 18 hours.  So, for the past 2 days, I've been making him hot chocolate to soothe his throat and put a few calories into him for energy.  And my Winnie the Pooh mug is exactly the right vessel for a large helping of...


HOT CHOCOLATE

1/4 cup sugar
3 tbsp cocoa powder
4 tbsp powdered milk
pinch of salt
1 tsp vanilla extract
boiling water
2 tbsp whipping cream, or to taste

Mix the sugar, cocoa powder, salt and milk in a mug; stir in the boiling water to about 1" below the rim of the mug.  Whisk together quickly to break up any lumps, add more water to raise the level of the hot chocolate, stir in the vanilla extract and cream, then whisk quickly to bring up foam on top of the drink.  Enjoy.

Happy Winnie the Pooh Day, everyone!  Have a great weekend!

8 comments:

STELLA and RORY from Down Under said...

Howdy Marjie. I too love Winnie the Pooh. My favourite quote is at the top of Stella's blog. Thanks for your kind thoughts on the passing of our Rory. We miss that boy with such an aching sadness. I feel so so sad. Take care all.
No worries, and love, Carol x
P.S. I hope your son feels better real soon.

Diane said...

The 1/4 of a cup of sugar would do me in as I have sugar in nothing :-) But the rest sounds great. It is the time of the year for hot chocolate. Love Winnie the Pooh. Hope Mark is better very soon. Diane

krishna said...

oh!! lovely.. here is it drizzling since morning.. I'm craving for a cup of hot chocolate..

Please visit: http://from-a-girls-mind.blogspot.com

Faye Lewis said...

I'm sure Mark felt better on that Winnie the Pooh day with the cup of hot chocolate.

pam said...

I hope he's feeling better already. I keep an Evernote notebook just for Winnie the Pooh quotes - I love them. Such words of wisdom!

grace said...

wow--that's some serious sleeping! hot chocolate is the perfect treatment. :)

Pam said...

Best mom!!! Homemade hot chocolate will make the worst cold feel better.

Lapdog Creations said...

mmm... sounds like some delish homemade hot chocolate!