Monday, October 24, 2016

New England Clam Chowder

It was cold and raining when we all got our flu shots, and Ryan campaigned vigorously for soup and sandwiches for dinner.  So, after a quick check of the pantry, I came up with this fast and easy version of New England Clam Chowder - the creamy kind.

NEW ENGLAND CLAM CHOWDER

1/4 cup butter
1 large onion, minced
1 tsp salt
3 small potatoes, shredded
2 small carrots, shredded
3 cans of whole or minced clams
8 cups water
2 tsp clam base
1/2 cup milk powder
2 tsp dried basil
1/2 tsp freshly grated nutmeg (optional, but good)
Freshly ground pepper to taste (I used 20 turns)
1/2 cup heavy cream

Melt the butter in a large pan; add the onion and salt and saute until soft.  Stir in the clam base, then add the potatoes, carrots and 6 cups of water.  Cook about 20 minutes, until the potatoes start to thicken the soup.  Mix the milk powder with the remaining 2 cups of water, and stir in with the 3 cans of clams (including the juice in which they're packed).  Cook another 10 to 15 minutes.  Add the basil, pepper, nutmeg and cream, heat through and serve.

This is what I put away after everyone had eaten his fill.  Ryan's been having it for lunch every day since, so you know this clam chowder really hit the spot on this cold and rainy weekend!

Happy Monday, everyone!

9 comments:

Faye Lewis said...

Yummy this is right up my alley.

Big Dude said...

Hard to beat good clam chowder - looks delicious and perfect for a cool day.

Diane said...

That sounds delightful but I have only ever seen fresh clams here and they are pretty expensive!! Hope all is well Diane

Pam said...

Homemade soup is the best on cold rainy days! Clam chowder is one of my favorites... it looks and sounds creamy and delicious Marjie.

STELLA and RORY from Down Under said...

Howdy Marjie, that soup sounds delicious. I made soup this winter too and it went down a treat. Always makes me smile to think of you on the other side of the world and our different seasons. We've had a lovely spring day today, planted some flowers and it felt good. No worries, and love, Carol and Stella

grace said...

i can't tolerate clams EXCEPT in chowder like this. what a luscious soup you've made!

Faye Lewis said...

Marjie would it be possible for me to have your email address? I need to ask you something (it's blog related). You can reach me at fayedoll(at)cox(dot)net.

Lapdog Creations said...

There's nothing quite like it.... :)

Sue said...

You can send some my way anytime. I love clam chowder and around here it's almost impossible to find. In Myrtle Beach I ate it several times a week.