Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Kiwi Fruit Squares

Last week, Michelle, a genuine Kiwi herself, pointed out to me that the picture I posted was of "kiwi fruit".  Fair enough; I'm quite certain Michelle is not a small, oval shaped furry object!  Of course, she didn't tell me why kiwi fruit are sold in a case of 9 baker's dozens.  One of life's small mysteries, I guess.


One night, inspired by my kiwi fruit, I decided to make dessert with them.  This is the result.

KIWI FRUIT SQUARES

1-1/4 cups flour
1/4 cup powdered sugar
1/2 cup (1 stick) margarine, at room temperature

3 Kiwi Fruit, peeled and chopped
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup egg beaters (or 2 eggs)
1/2 tsp baking powder

Stir together the flour and powdered sugar.  Cut in the margarine until it all has a coarse texture, and press into the bottom of a greased 8x8 or 7x9 baking pan.  Bake at 350F for about 15 minutes, until it's lightly browned.  Meanwhile, put the kiwi fruit, sugar, and egg beaters (or eggs) in your food processor or blender and puree until well combined.  When the crust is ready, add the baking powder and pour atop the crust.  Return to the oven, and bake for another 25 minutes, until the topping sets.  Dust with more powdered sugar, if desired.

The boys liked this well enough, but my dearly beloved was not a fan.  I had to make him lemon squares the next night.  Of course,this is a heart-friendly recipe.  If you're watching your sugar intake, reduce the cup of sugar that's pureed with the kiwi fruit to 1/2 cup, add 1/2 cup stevia, and proceed as directed.

Happy Wednesday, everyone!

5 comments:

~~louise~~ said...

Happy Wednesday Marjie!

I was wondering what you were going to "throw" together with all those kiwi fruit. Looks like you're off to a good start. Sorry the "hubby" was not as thrilled. To be perfectly honest, I didn't even know you could cook with kiwi. I'm not much of a fan but I must say, when you come to visit, lol...you are more than welcome to bring Kiwi Fruit Squares:)

Thanks for sharing, Marjie...

P.S. Beautiful weather headed our way! Yipeeeeeeeee!!!

Big Dude said...

Looks like a good use for the kiwi fruits.

Pam said...

I've never thought to make desserts with kiwi fruit. I think the bars look and sound tasty.

SissySees said...

I like kiwi - and have a flock of Kiwi cousins - so I may have to give this a whirl.

Lapdog Creations said...

I love kiwi... those sound quite wonderful..... should you ever get the urge to test out how shippable they are, I'm your guinea pig! :)