Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Garden Tuesday: The Executioner

In addition to cleaning up inside, I'm on a roll, urging the cleanup of our shrub beds outside.  Let me tell you, it's not easy.  See this corner of my house, specifically the pair of upright yews surrounding the upright juniper?  Just in case you can't identify them, they're the 3 brown shrubs with just a little green at the top, much as if the fool shrubs are wearing green hats.  And they ate the corner and two windows on my house.


Well, I had a landscaper come in and cut them down, with a chain saw, and replace them with boxwoods.  My dearly beloved is now accusing me of having the shrubs executed.  Yes, that's me, the executioner.

Don't they look good?  And my hydrangea has room to unfold and be as pretty as it wants.

BTW, in case I decide some of those hydrangea branches are too long, does anyone know if I can cut off a branch and stick it in something to root?  Because I'd surely enjoy having hydrangea elsewhere, too.

Happy Tuesday, everyone.

13 comments:

Faye Lewis said...

You really do have a beautiful home, inside and out. Yes, I've heard that if you stick hydrangeas in a rooting substance (I assume you can get it at Lowes or Home Depot) they are easy to root. Though I've never tried it myself.

~~louise~~ said...

I think it looks fabulous Marjie! I'm not particularly fond of Junipers in any fashion so yes, let the Hydrangea flow.

I have propagated Hydrangeas in the past by simply cutting off new growth and putting it in soil. However, if you want a more "scientific" way of "making babies," here's a terrific websitethat explains step by step! Good Luck!

Thanks for sharing, Marjie...

pam said...

Wow, it looks great. Now you can see some of the details of your house!

Dexter said...

Sometimes a heavy hand is what it takes. Well done.

Mango Momma

Pam said...

I think it looks much better with them gone. I love hydrangeas.

Blond Duck said...

Everything is so green!!!!!! Everything here is dead.

Jessica said...

Oh, very nice! The yews were just a classic case of "wrong tree, wrong place". I have a few of those in my own yard that need some tackling. The boxwoods are a great choice, and respond well to trimming and are very forgiving.

Anonymous said...

We know who's the softy in your relationship. And yes, your house looks even more beautiful after you murdered the shrubs.

Lapdog Creations said...

Oh it definitely looks better - much more open!

SissySees said...

Hahaha... maybe it's a side effect of his time here in podunk? The Knight and I broke up prior to our engagement after he executed trees on my property.

It does look great though. (Just as the back of our house will too, when the trees in the dog pen come down. Sigh.)

Sue said...

Not an executioner, more of a plastic surgeon. It looks good. Sorry, I have no idea about rooting the plant, but it doesn't hurt to try.

Two French Bulldogs said...

Sometimes I think outside work is fun but harder
Snotrts,
Benny & Lily

Big Dude said...

Sometimes you've just got to do some serious pruning and start over.