Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Sweet Potato Puff Rolls


I have not had the mental energy to do any great and exciting cooking hereabouts. Trying to figure out what to buy for Christmas for all of my kids is a taxing experience at best, and I feel like it's a cop-out to just hand out gift cards. Call me crazy, but that's how I think.

Anyway, I was perusing an old bread cookbook, when I happened upon a recipe for potato rolls. Having a small container of mashed sweet potatoes in my fridge, I thought I could make some dandy substitutions. Surprising light and fluffy, these rolls disappeared in a hurry!

SWEET POTATO PUFF ROLLS

1/2 cup mashed sweet potatoes, warmed
1 cup warm milk
1 warm egg (place in a bowl of warm water for 5 minutes)
6 tsp yeast
4 cups flour
4 tsp gluten powder
1 tsp salt
2 tbsp sugar
4 tbsp butter, cut in small pieces

Pour the milk in your bread machine bucket or mixing bowl; sprinkle the yeast over top. Add the dry ingredients, followed by the butter, sweet potato and egg. Mix according to my bread making directions (see icon to the right); let rise 15 minutes, punch down, and form into 16 nice round rolls. Let them rise until doubled in size, about 20 to 30 minutes, then bake at 375F for 16 to 18 minutes.

My little guy cut one open the next day, put some cheese inside and cooked it in the George Foreman grill. He swore that it was a great lunch! Ryan filled two with chicken and lettuce for a nice portable lunch; clearly, these were quite good.

Thor will see you all tomorrow!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Though I like bread, I look forward to Thor.

gMarie said...

Obviously I'm going to have to share something I can make - because you know baked anything is not it! But those rolls look fabulous. g

Sean Grey Hanson said...

Sometimes I just want chocolate croissants! Nothing really sounds better. But this time, I'm going to expose myself into baking and kneading. A big thanks for this post!

Diane said...

Sweet potatoes are so good that this recipe must be good. Hope that you are keeping warm. Diane

SissySees said...

Sissy wants some of those rolls!

I only give gift cards when they are truly requested and I can't come up with a way around them...

Lapdog Creations said...

mmm... those look delish!

Mini Baker said...

LOVE sweet potatoes... so I know id love this!

Linda said...

With sweet potatoes they HAVE to be healthy too!

Pam said...

They look so fluffy and delicious! Bookmarked.

grace said...

i had my first piece of potato bread the other day and liked it very much. since i prefer sweet potatoes, there's no question that i'd enjoy these...especially with cheese stuffed inside!