Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Lunches

It's the time of year when we need to send our kids off to school (and ourselves to work) with good, healthy lunches. Indeed, that was the subject of the primary column in the lifestyles section of our paper last Wednesday, "food day". Now, while I don't stuff my kids out the door the way others do, I do enjoy all of those interesting lunch containers out there. Aren't they inspirational?
Yes, my older kids tell me I'm a dork all the time. Thanks for not joining in.


The basic rectangular container is perfect for the 24 year old's grinder. He bellowed at me when I suggested it would be better with lettuce or tomato. I offered to hit him with a stick.

The little boys like to take lunch outside while the weather is nice. Of course, I like letting them package up a lunch the night before. Not only does it teach them to plan ahead, they learn about a well balanced meal. And Thor gets a peanut butter sandwich in the little flat container.
For an adult or a bigger kid, check this out. Filled with a small chef's salad, hard boiled egg, bread and some crackers, it's plenty of food. Of course, you know I would take "real" flatware instead of the plastic, but it's nice that it comes with a built-in fork and knife. You could also put a big helping of pasta salad, some fruit and a nice dessert in this lovely lunch box.

The container with 4 little sections is really 4 removable containers. It's a dieter's delight. The size dictates that unless you fill it with sugar and frosting, it has to be low-calorie! Filling each of the 4 sections with something like tuna, cottage cheese, carrot sticks and crackers would be plenty to keep you occupied. Of course, I didn't fill it; I really don't need to eat two lunches, do I?

All of these cute lunch containers came from Target. Lunch is a whole lot easier to imagine with them, isn't it?

14 comments:

Anette said...

I would have loved to bring one of those to work! Little bit of this and little bit of that, yummy!

Anette said...

I would have loved to bring one of those to work! Little bit of this and little bit of that, yummy!

Anette said...

sorry about the double, now triple comments! I was tricked into it by the word verification!

Paula said...

This is great! I really like these style of containers as nothing gets squished. My kids would like them because the food groups don't touch! I especially like the one that the boys used to pack their lunch. All those little cubbies would work great for my youngest as these "bento" style lunches works great for her and her food items. I've looked high and low for that type of container and can't find it. Perhaps Target will restock them since it's school season. For now, I sent them off to school this morning with hot lunches in thermos's. Hopefully, the lunch box will return home empty. By the way, I'll eat any of those lunches that you provided ... especially if they have lettuce AND tomato! :-)

Lyndas recipe box said...

Very cool containers! Makes me wish I had someone to send to school again.

Jan Mader said...

I love to read your blog. It's lighthearted and fun and it's filled with good information. I NEED THOSE CONTAINERS!

Pam said...

I love the containers - it's extra nice because you don't have to waste so many zip lock bags. That turkey grinder is calling my name - but I'd like lettuce and tomatoes on mine please.

Tatersmama said...

I wish I could show these to some of my day care parents!
I'm sick to death of them thinking that potato chips are a vegetable and fruit leather is fresh fruit, but they say that it keeps the food separate!!


Do you hear that?
Katie... katie...katie...

I think that grinder is calling my name, don't you?
I have lettuce and tomatoes AND some lovely cucumber to go with it. ;-D

Breezy Point Mom said...

Your organization and healthy food prep continue to amaze me.

buffalodick said...

Zip lock bags and containers are the handiest things invented!

SissySees said...

I'm married to a Tupperware addict. He loves the different shapes, colors, uses... and must part with some of the "old" before he can buy new.

crabigail adams said...

Where do you get the box with the side foldover thingy? I'm in love with that!

pam said...

Since I take a lunch everyday, I always look at lunch containers. I want to try a bento style someday.

inadvertent farmer said...

Now if you really want your kids to think you are a dork, but have a blast making and eating them you should try bento boxes. http://justbento.com/ this is a great site! Kim