Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Garden Tuesday

Well, we finally have tomatoes ripening. Sadly, tomato blight got to some of my plants; I burned them in my fire bowl.

This little beauty is one of many we've gotten from our Taxi Tomato plant. These tomatoes are less than 2" diameter, and my dearly beloved says they're funny looking (because of the color), but they taste wonderful.
More zucchini are coming. Can you see the one balanced on the cage? And did you notice Woodland Wilf, the red spot at the bottom of the plant? Yeah, we haven'
t seen the garden gnomes since May or so.
This is a Minnesota Midget Melon plant. We planted those because the name was so funny. They've grown very slowly. I don't understand! After all, if they were bred to grow in Minnesota, they should have been able to stand this cold, rainy non-summer we've had!

Next weekend is Labor Day already. I'm so not ready for summer to end....even though we had a high of 61 yesterday, and it's only 65 degrees today at 3PM!

12 comments:

Tatersmama said...

Everything's looking great around your place! I just love seeing the little nooks and crannies and the gateways and all. ;-)
Man, I'm so glad that spring is finally here, because I'm sooo looking forward to putting in the garden this year!
I wish I had some Minnesota Midget melon seeds though.... I just love the name! lol!

Mari @ Once Upon a Plate said...

Hi! I love the title of your blog. :)

Yesterday I was reading about the awful tomato blight the east has been suffering with this summer. :( I'm so sorry, but your Taxi tomato looks PERFECT! We like that variety, too.

Great photos!

Jan Mader said...

You do have the coziest looking place! And a garden to boot...with tomatoes that are getting ripe!

buffalodick said...

Home grown tomatoes! I love them, but seems you get a bazillion of them in the span of a month- and the rest of the year, it's back to tasteless store bought ones..

Paula said...

I love the little Taxi Tomato! I've never had one, but now I want to grow them, too! Despite your crummy weather (the year without summer), your garden looks terrific! Gosh, if you get that much growth with uncooperative weather, imagine how much bounty you'd get with decent weather! Over the weekend, downy mildew attacked my zucchini plant. I'm not happy about that. At least I've enjoyed some zucchini!

Anette said...

There is something special with a yellow tomato! Like a little sun! My tomatoes are slowly coming, I think I might have to take them indoor if the bade weather continues! But where?? My husband will probably dislike to get 8 wild and big tomato plants in the house!

Mickle in NZ said...

The taxi tomato is such a happy colour. Whatever the colour, I'm sure all your tomatoes will be harvestable.

Scrummy food can be made from unripe green ones - I've just not yet come across any unripe enough to make decent fried green tomatoes!

For this coming summer Dad will have his tomatoes in the garden right outside the guest bedroom, along with the 2 blueberry plants they put there in winter. I've already warned my dear folks what is likely to happen when I stay over Xmas!

Too bad tomatoes aren't Thor or Zebby food!

SissySees said...

Our tomatoes are gone too, except for the volunteer, which is a monster plant, but I don't like the looks of the 'maters it is growing. They look thick-skinned and tough...

tavolini said...

A high of 61 degrees?!? Oh, you guys have had a chilly summer!

Garden is looking great--I'm excited for your squash :)

Christo Gonzales said...

aghhhhh dont let summer end!

The Blonde Duck said...

You want to trade? I'll take your 65 for my 105...Though this week..we had a cold front of 95!

pam said...

It's looking good, Marjie!