Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Applesauce Raisin Muffins

Muffins are one of the greatest inventions ever. They work as dessert, they work for breakfast, they're a great midday snack. Best of all, once you have found a basic muffin recipe, the variations are endless. Last night, I decided that muffins would suit me well for dessert; I had a very small amount of applesauce left in the fridge, and my inspiration began

APPLESAUCE RAISIN NUT MUFFINS

1-3/4 cups flour
1/4 cup sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1 tbsp cinnamon
1 egg
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup vegetable oil
3/4 cup applesauce

1/4 cup raisins
1/8 cup chopped pecans or walnuts

Combine the dry ingredients in a bowl. Add the wet ingredients, including the applesauce, all at once, and stir until just combined. Stir in the raisins and nuts, and spoon into greased muffin pans. Bake at 400F for 12 to 15 minutes for mini muffins, or 18 to 20 minutes for large muffins. Let them cool slightly, and top with a glaze of 1/2 cup confectioner's sugar, 1/2 tsp vanilla extract, 1 to 2 tbsp milk or cream, and a shake or 2 of cinnamon, if desired. Of course, I made mini muffins, since I can eat more of them, and this recipe made 24 generous muffins.
My guys agreed with me that muffins were just the right thing for last night's dessert, and they continued to agree with me as they devoured the remainder late this morning.

The new picture on my header is what my yard looked like on Friday, the first day of Spring. As you can see, I'm waiting for some green to arrive. The blue spruce tree right in the center foreground of the picture was a gift to my dearly beloved from our oldest son in 1998. It was under 3 feet tall, and it makes me smile to see how it's grown. This is the first time in my life I've lived anywhere for more than 5 years, and I love knowing every little thing about my big old house and yard.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

The new picture on the header is great!

Anonymous said...

ive always LOVED muffins, I managed a bakery in manhattan in what seems like a former life and baked all kinds... They truly are the best invention since.. uh sliced bread :) yours look real yum

blessings
gp in very snowy mt

Bunny said...

Muffins are the bomb! You can do so many things with them! Yours are made with my most favorite fruit apples ( in sauce form) !!

Paula said...

Wow! Today's the first chance I've had in a couple days to go blog visiting and I see that you've been a busy gal! Love the new header photo, and the story behind the tree! The muffins are lovely, and I know that my hubbyman would eat them two at a time until they were gone! YUM!

Anonymous said...

I had a muffin for lunch today and it was grand. These look delicious with all that frosting.

Katherine Roberts Aucoin said...

I have some applesauce in the fridge too. You've given me a terrific idea! The icing glazed all over has me drooling.

I know you and Thor glad that there's no snow on the ground right now.

The Blonde Duck said...

I must make those muffins! Anything with a sugar glaze is right up my alley!

I'm going to try to make those bread recipes this weekend !:)

buffalodick said...

Half a dozen to go, please!

pam said...

I love your new header and I love the sound of these muffins.

Also - I don't think buttermilk powder would work with the ice cream I posted. But you can get lowfat buttermilk.

Peter M said...

Oh yes, great pic of the inside of the fluffy muffin. Thanks for not being stingy with the icing!

cidell said...

Oh. Yum. This might be good for today. It's rainy and gross and I think I have everything in the cubbard.

Kristie Kay's Blog said...

oh these look decilious are they really hard to make?