Tuesday, January 15, 2008

"Sort Of" Sweet & Sour Beef

Last night, I thawed steak. True to form, I'm not that big a fan of plain beef, so I went looking for something to do with it. I found a recipe for Sweet & Sour Beef, but it contained peppers, which I can't eat. So, off to the drawing board with a little inspiration.from "Shortcut Cooking for the Smart Cook"!
SORT OF SWEET & SOUR BEEF

2lbs steak, cut into strips
balsamic vinegar
garlic powder
fresh ground black pepper
1 can pineapple chunks
3 tomatoes, cut into chunks
1 bag fresh spinach
1-1/2 cups chicken broth (yes, chicken)
1 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup red wine
1/2 cup cold water whisked with 1/4 cup flour

Arrange the steak strips in the bottom of the broiler pan; sprinkle with balsamic vinegar, garlic powder (I used a lot!) and pepper. Broil for 2 to 3 minutes.

Meanwhile, heat chicken broth with vinegar and wine. Partially cook the spinach in the chicken broth for 1 to 2 minutes; remove spinach from pan with slotted spoon, so as not to take any of the broth with the spinach.

Turn the steak strips. Sprinkle with more balsamic vinegar, garlic powder and pepper. Toss in pineapple, tomatoes and spinach. Return to the broiler for 2 minutes. While it's in, add the water/flour mix to the broth mix, and heat to thicken. Pour over the beef/veggie mix, and return to the broiler again for 1 to 2 minutes. Serve over pasta (I used thin spaghetti)

Served 5 with no leftovers (poor doggie).

1 comment:

Faith said...

Mmm, sounds (and looks) yummy. I think dd would really like that (with peppers for the tomatoes).