Friday, August 4, 2017

Watermelon Day

I heard from a friend yesterday that August 3 is National Watermelon Day, and, of course, I couldn't let the day go by without celebrating.  Now, as far as I'm concerned, every day can be watermelon day. So Mark brought one back from the supermarket.  This is 1/4 of it; the color was washed out, but it tasted better than it looked.  And I plan to finish it off today, with or without help from my menfolk.

I am really disappointed that we can't get giant watermelons here any more; Dan brought 4 up in his car trunk the first week of July, and I'm not ashamed to say that we consumed them all.  It was a darn good time.

So....does everyone else find only the dinky little watermelons in their stores?  Or can you still find the giant wonderfully juicy and flavorful ones?

Happy Weekending, everyone!

6 comments:

Rhodesia said...

We also love them and ever since they appeared in the supermarkets we have been eating them every day. Think we must be on about our 10th one now, they are what I would call medium size. Take care Diane

pam said...

Only small watermelons here. I'm with you, every day should be watermelon day!

Sue said...

Yesterday I found a huge watermelon that I could barely lift. I thought even if it wasn't great, the dogs would enjoy it. Rob cut it last night and said it was really sweet and juicy. He and the dogs all had some and today I'll have a taste.

Big Dude said...

Bev has been keeping cut up watermelon and cantaloupe in the fridge pretty well full time for a while and it is so refreshing on the hot days. Hope you enjoyed yours.

grace said...

LOVE me some watermelon! i've had pretty good luck picking out winners this year...there's not much worse than a gross watermelon and not much better than a delicious one! :)

gMarie said...

We have watermelon in the house all the time! I generally buy the small ones, because they are easier to 'plate' for breakfast, but lately we've been buying the big ones, cutting a slice and then cutting shapes with cookie cutters to 'garnish' breakfast. Guests love it!! g