Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Carrot Cake for Cass' Birthday!

Well, there are no actual pictures of a slice of the carrot cake.  But here's what it looked like before we set it on fire...I mean, lit the candles.


Cass decided she was not going to be short between her little brothers.  So she made them hoist her up to their level, leaving me and Shannon looking as if we were standing in holes.

Anyway, the carrot cake.  Our traditional birthday cake is a marble cake, but she requested carrot cake instead.  With my buttercream frosting, because, as Cass said, she looks forward to birthday cake frosting all year long (not that I don't always make it, just that she's not usually around).  I changed it up a bit to make it a little healthier.  Just remember, as I told my dearly beloved, simply because the word "carrot" is in the name doesn't make this either health food or diet food.  Rats.

CARROT CAKE

1 cup flour
1 cup white whole wheat flour
2 cups sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 tbsp ground cinnamon
6 egg whites or 1 cup Egg Beaters
1 cup vegetable oil
3 cups shredded carrots

In a mixing bowl, stir together the flours, sugar, powder, soda, salt and cinnamon.  Add the egg whites and oil; beat 2 minutes.  Stir in the carrots and turn into a greased sheet cake pan (or 2 layer pans, if you prefer).  Bake at 350F for about 45 minutes, until a cake tester in the middle comes out clean.  Frost with my buttercream frosting (1/2 cup butter, 1 pound confectioner's sugar 2 tsp vanilla extract and whipping cream to smooth it out, beaten until creamy) or cream cheese frosting (4 ounces cream cheese, 1/4 cup butter, 1 pound confectioner's sugar, 2 tsp vanilla extract and whipping cream to smooth it out, beaten until creamy).  Either way, it's delicious.

That's my feeble attempt to put Bebop on the cake.  Cass loved it; she served around Bebop and took that part of the cake home with her.

Today's Mark's driving test; my fingers are crossed!  Happy Wednesday, everyone!

Edited to add: Mark passed his test!  I am officially finished teaching kids how to drive!
 

9 comments:

Debbie Cook said...

Happy Birthday Cass! And good luck Mark!

Two French Bulldogs said...

Happy Birthday!! Moms favorite
Lily & Edward

Lapdog Creations said...

That sounds delish! Hope Cass had a fabulous birthday!

Big Dude said...

I can't remember the last time I had carrot cake.

Sue said...

I like the picture of the tall people with the short bookends. I always thought that I'm normal height and everyone else is either too tall or too short. Now about those hot fudge sundaes.....

Anonymous said...

The cake, the people, look fantastic. (Bebop looks like he just got braces.)

Linda said...

The most requested cake around this place🎂

Pam said...

I love carrot cake! Happy birthday to Cass... it looks like she had a great day.

I can't believe how tall your youngest is now!

grace said...

a fantastic birthday cake selection! happy birthday to cass and congrats to mark!