Thursday, March 6, 2014

Chicken in Wine Sauce

Well, I have been cooking.  But taking pictures is another story.  My pea-sized brain is just overwhelmed, and I can't even give you a great reason why.

But anyway, back to the chicken.

CHICKEN IN WINE SAUCE

3 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs
vegetable oil
1 large onion, chopped
3 cloves of garlic, minced (3 tsp)
3/4 tsp of salt
pepper
2 cups water
2 tsp low sodium chicken base
1/2 cup red wine (any kind)
1/2 cup cold water
3 tbsp cornstarch
1/2 pound sliced mushrooms

Coat the bottom of a large skillet with vegetable oil, and turn heat to medium high.  Put the onion and 1 clove of garlic into it, and cook for a minute or 2, until the onion softens.  Remove any fat from the chicken, and cut into 1/4" thick slices.  Sprinkle one pound of chicken with 1/4 tsp salt (just a tiny bit) and pepper, and quickly brown in the skillet on both sides; remove to a plate and cover.  Add another clove of garlic, sprinkle 1/4 tsp salt on the second pound of chicken, add pepper, brown on both sides, and repeat for the third pound of chicken.  When all of the chicken is browned, scoop all of the onion and garlic out of the pan, put on the plate with the chicken, and cover.  Rinse the pan to remove the fat, then return to the stove, and stir the chicken base into 2 cups of water.  Heat to a simmer, add the wine, and whisk the cornstarch into 1/2 cup cold water.  Whisk into the chicken broth mixture, and heat until it thickens.  Return the chicken to the pan, and cook about 10 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through.  Add the mushrooms, cook another 3 to 5 minutes, and serve over a bed of white rice.

I've made this a couple of times now, and the boys really like it.  My dearly beloved says all food tastes like crap now.  How terribly encouraging.  I hope he gets over that soon.  But in the meantime, I tell him I'm the leader and he'll eat if I say he'll eat.  Then he growls and eats.  He's getting crankier, so that means he's getting better, right?

This is what was left over.  I believe one of the boys had it for lunch.  I consider myself lucky to have even remembered to take this picture.

Happy Thorsday, everyone!

10 comments:

Lapdog Creations said...

Yum!

Pam said...

Your beloved went from eating yummy food to now eating healthier food and it takes time to get used to it. I bet he will come around soon. Tell him at least he's still around to eat!!!

~~louise~~ said...

Sounds like you're on the road to healthy cooking, Marjie. It can be so difficult when the "patient" feels like they are making too many sacrifices. I'm sure your hubby will come around. It just may take some time. Just a thought, I'm wondering if you could omit the chicken base in this recipe and use low sodium chicken stock in place of the water? As for the Red Wine, I have seen some labels that include salt just like many bottled waters do. Thank you so much for sharing, Marjie. Keeping those fingers crossed:)

Anonymous said...

You'd think the body would crave the foods that are best for us -- broccoli, for example. It's one of life's dirty tricks that we love salt and butter and fat.

STELLA and RORY from Down Under said...

Hi Marjie, hehehe, a cranky beloved aye? It'll probably take a few months for his taste to change. I'm sure the food is yummy just not full of sugar and salt. Wonder if a new addition to the family would take his mind off the food and his last few weeks. We have not forgotten dear little Brutus or Thor of course. Just a thought mate. No worries, and love, Carol

Big Dude said...

No doubt in my mind that you've been cooking. I like dishes that say "... in wine sauce."

Diane said...

It has to be good cooked in wine :-) Take care and have a great weekend. Diane

SissySees said...

I don't like chicken or rice, but having just been informed by doc-friend I have 3-4 months to get my cholesterol down or medication is in order... it sounds worth a try.

pam said...

Oh you poor thing. Yes, I think cranky is a good sign.

grace said...

i tried a similar recipe once and was very disappointed. i'll give your version a try for sure!