Thursday, October 6, 2011

Our First 7th Grade Test

Thank you all for your dishwasher detergent comments. I'm doing more research, and will report when I have something intelligent to say.

So, today we've been working on Mark's first test for Calvert School's seventh grade.
There are probably a bunch of you who wonder why on earth I would homeschool my kids instead of sending them to school. Well, in a word, it's a very deep curriculum for whatever age is being taught. Here are sample questions from his testing. Remember, this is the first test for seventh grade. These questions are typical, and I think there are adults who would be hard pressed to answer some of these. For example:

Reading: "The reader could view the story told in Around the World in 80 Days as two races - one involving Phileas Fogg, the other involving Fix. Write a paragraph discussing the two races and be sure to include what each character is racing, and for what reason."

Geography: "Half of earth's land is not useful to humans. Why do you think this is so?"

Art History: "List 3 characteristics of an Egyptian temple."

Science: "List and describe 3 characteristics of living things."

History: "Using complete sentences, identify and give the importance of: archaeology, Constantine, Justinian, Muhammad, Gupta India and Byzantine Empire."

Of course, there are spelling, grammar and composition requirements, multiple choice and fill in the blanks for all areas, and many more than just one question for each subject. I just took the first question from each area for you.

And we miss our school guidance counselor terribly. He was a great, soothing presence in the classroom for many years.

12 comments:

Pam said...

Wow! Good for you for giving your kids such an excellent education. I often wonder if I would be a good home school teacher. Thor was the best school pal a boy could ask for!

Big Dude said...

I have a good friend who is principal and two more who are teachers, I believe I know very well why you home school - and good on you.

Dexter said...

That is a great test. Wow! Like school is totally for learning stuff and not babysitting? Who knew? I remember back in my day when the smart kids had special classes where they would learn stuff like that. Of course that meant the not so smart kids had to be in different classes and we wouldn't want that anymore, right? Bah! Don't get me started.

Although I wonder if that youngster will stay focused without his guidance counselor.

Mango Momma

STELLA and RORY from Down Under said...

Well done on the home schooling. We are lucky enough to live in a very small town (1500 people) and have a fabulous school with dedicated teachers. My kids have all gone on to high school then University so we appreciate all the hard work involved in getting children to learn. No worries (and good luck with the test) and love, Carol (and Stella and Rory)

The Blonde Duck said...

I'm glad you homeschool. I teach after school classes (creative writing) and the only books the kids know are Harry Potter.

~~louise~~ said...

I've always found it fascinating that you home school your children, Marjie. My daughter, who graduated from Penn State with a degree in Early Childhood Education, has recently left her job as an accountant to assist in an afternoon home schooling program the parents have found necessary to initiate. Kudos to you and I'm sure Mark will do brilliantly. (Thor would be proud:)

Thanks for sharing...

And no, I would not know where to begin with those questions:)

Anonymous said...

Looks like he was a pretty good hall monitor as well.

SissySees said...

I miss your guidance dog too.

One size doesn't fit all. I almost wish home schooling had been an option when I was growing up...

Gloria Baker said...

So nice you home school, is amazing,good luck in the test , xxgloria
love your dog!

Sue said...

Wish I'd been home schooled.School bored me to tears.

Lapdog Creations said...

All the things that Thor was such a grand part of in your lives... wonderful memories!

Christina S. - Calvert Community Manager said...

So sorry to hear about Thor. It sounds like he was surely loved.

We're glad the Calvert curriculum is right fit for you. Feel free to stop by our Facebook page, if you have any questions or just want to hang out with other Calvert moms.