Sunday, October 9, 2011

Last Weekend's sewing

Last weekend, I made a dress for the relative in Denver from the same turquoise as my second V1250 dress. The pattern was quite shapeless, so I ran 5 inverted pleats, open at each end, across the front at the waist. I think the sleeves are too long, but she called me last night to say that both she and her husband love it. I love it when things work out well.

I had this floral that I wanted to use, since I was sewing in blue anyway (Sue is right about my tendency to using color families), so I made a draped neck cami
and a drape necked top. Not sure when I'll wear them, since the weather's turning cooler, but they'll doubtless wait for me.

I'm distracted this weekend. My nursing school daughter called me Friday. What do you get when you mix this:

With an 18-wheeler doing 35 in a construction zone who fails to stop at a red light where 2 other vehicles are already stopped?

Lucky. Damn lucky. My daughter is fine, but her car is totaled. The cop told her she'd have been dead if she had been driving a smaller car. The car is now 3 feet shorter front to back, and sitting on the ground. Her siblings have been rotating in and out of her college apartment to keep waking her (she had a concussion), and chauffeur her around (no car and whiplash). I have purposely stayed away, so I don't smother her. I'll be normal in a couple of days, after she sounds normal.

19 comments:

Dexter said...

EEEEE! No words for how scary that is. Go ahead and smother her. Be good for both of you.

Mango Momma

pam said...

Oh my goodness! I'm so thankful she is okay. That is so scary.

Two French Bulldogs said...

yikes, scary
Benny & Lily

Sue said...

That's one of those calls you don't want to get. Great that she's OK.

I like that print a lot.

Big Dude said...

Glad yor daughter is okay. Bev and Pat got T-boned the day before I got to Marco - cars can be fixed or scrapped - so what, it's the people that count.

Maryissewfast said...

Yikes! That is so scary! Thanks goodness she was driving a safe car!

Faye Lewis said...

Thank God your girl is alright. Your non-selfish sewing project is beautiful.

Mickle in NZ said...

What a relief Cass is okay, and has brothers and sisters to smother her on your behalf.

The pleats "make" the turquoise dress and the print is so pretty. Please pass on our special thoughts and gentle purrs to Cass and the Colerado relative,

Michelle and Zebby Cat

pam said...

Oh My Goodness Gracious!!! That is a scary sccident! Glad baby girl is ok.

Also Love Love that print on the tank. Beautiful...

STELLA and RORY from Down Under said...

Bloody Heck. We are very glad she is ok. You are entitled to go a little cracker. Or a lot! P.S. Your sewing is amazing. No worries (especially for your daughter) and love, Carol (and Stella and Rory)
P.S.S. Our daughter has 8 weeks to go and she will graduate as a Registered Nurse (hurray).

The Blonde Duck said...

Holy crap! There were angels watching over her!

SissySees said...

Yikes. Glad she's mostly okay!

Love both fabrics.

Big Dude said...

I like your choice of colors

Pam said...

Pretty dress and shirt.

I am so glad you daughter is okay - thank goodness she wasn't in a smaller car. Sending healing thoughts her way.

Jennifer said...

Wow, so glad your daughter is OK and I so wish I could sew! Impressive!

Ann Made Studio said...

Oh my....so glad she is OK!

Debbie Cook said...

Oh no!! So glad it is the car and not your daughter that is 3 feet shorter. What a scare!

Mary said...

Oh, Marjie! I am so glad to hear that she is safe and sound. My husband has a run in with a semi about ten years ago and he shouldn't have walked away from it and yet he did. Thank God for both of them.

Nice sewing too!! As always, I am impressed.

Lapdog Creations said...

Love the jewel tone fabrics!