Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Garden Tuesday: Hydrangea

I should have put some evergreen tree spikes around my hydrangea this year. It's back to being white, instead of pink. But it is flourishing, and I love that the flowers stay on the bush when they dry, leaving spots of color throughout the drab winter!

And for those of you "suffering" a glut of tomatoes and cucumbers, here's an easy fix for you:

TASTE OF SUMMER SALAD


2 large cucumbers, peeled and sliced
4 large tomatoes, cut in large chunks
1/2 cup Zesty Italian salad dressing

Cut the veggies, combine in a bowl, and refrigerate at least 15 minutes, and up to 2 days. The Italian dressing keeps the veggies from softening up. This amount fed five of us as a side dish; I was saddened to see that I didn't even have any left for lunch today.

8 comments:

Diane said...

My hydrangeas are very dark purple with the occasional pink and they never get touched. The soil obviously suits them.

What a nice easy salad, just the sort I like. Diane

Lapdog Creations said...

Oh I wish I had that salad right now... yum!

Big Dude said...

That sure is a big hydranga you got there.

pam said...

Hydrangeas, tomatoes and cucumbers...three of my favorite things!

Pam said...

Your hydrangeas are beautiful! The salad looks perfect for the summer.

Linda said...

I'm jealous (not that it does me any good) of your hydrangeas....the ones we can grow here look horrid. Soon I'll have me some tomatoes and cukes! Soon!

Anonymous said...

Yes, glut here. Thank you. (I have so many cukes, I added them to a bruschetta mix. Worked for me.)

Mickle in NZ said...

Your hydrangeas are so tall, so very pretty. Reminds me that I must prune mine - the new leaf buds have just started opening so I know where to cut!