Saturday, August 22, 2009

Shopping Therapy

One of my father in law's funniest statements was, to his wife, "Go shopping. It's cheaper than therapy." No, he wasn't a touchy-feely, sensitive sort of guy. My dearly beloved has never said anything of the sort. No with him, it's more like, "So get what you want. Why are you talking to me?" Fortunately for him, I never went shopping for a Ferrari or a sable coat.

Last weekend, when my old summer dressing gown tripped me, my dearly beloved growled at me to do something about a new one. That meant fabric shopping, and that meant (since it was around midnight) Fabric Mart on the internet. Carolyn, the Sewing Fanatic periodi
cally talks about the place, and I do have to say that their service was fast. Ordered Saturday, received Tuesday, this fabric has been sitting on my table talking to me, awaiting attention.

The loud blue and yellow abstract print here is already becoming a summer dress. These people are generous in their measurements, unlike the chain store hereabouts, where 1 yard means 36.25". (I did bawl them out once for cutting a piece crooked, and refused to take it, proving to them that while it was 36" where they had measured, it was under 35" at the other edge.) So, I'm thinking that there might be a fall dress in this piece, too, but I have to live with it for a while and see. The blue with yellow flowers is destined to be a skirt, the one with the silvery threads hasn't yet told me what it wants to be, nor has the off white with embroidered flowers.

I just love love love the burgundy floral in the center of this picture. It could be a million different things, but I bought this for the new dressing gown. I think more may come my way for other uses. It so reminds me of impressionist paintings, which I just adore. The almond fabric to its left wants to be a skirt, and the floral to the right hasn't given me any definitive answers yet.

So, now you all know I'm crazy. Textiles talk to me. Don't worry, I'll be locked back in the rubber room again soon (only kidding).

13 comments:

Chronicles of Dolliedaydream said...

Happy weekend to you and yours Marjie! Love the blue with white flower fabric on the left - it looks very fifties. You are very clever sewing your own dressing gown or 'woolie' as we call them for some strange reason!

Paula said...

I could just see you standing up and saying, "My name is Marjie, and I'm a textile-aholic!" I love all three of those fabrics in that last photo. Man, I wish you lived next door. I'm planning to get my wee one a little sewing machine for Christmas. She'll be thrilled ... but then I'll need to teach her to SEW! Yikes! Looking forward to seeing your new dressing gown. Will it be similar to the heavier one you made that was like Kim Bassinger's in that movie? It was GORGEOUS!

Ann Made Studio said...

All great fabric choices :)
Have fun sewing them up!

pam said...

Since I have sworn off fabric shopping till I use up my stash, I will have to just enjoy yours!

Mickle in NZ said...

They're all lovely, but the burgundy really stands out.

I'm kind of similar with yarn, and my mother is a quilter - need I say more!

Hope you have some happy fabric thoughts and inspiration,

Michelle xxx

Claire S. said...

Don't worry about it Marjie, fabric talks to ALL of us LOL !
Your fabric choices all look great - can't wait to see the new pieces.

Now that I'm finally feeling better, it's time to visit my 'local' - they have their fabulous 75% off sale happening (at least it said so in the paper a couple days ago) - maybe something will speak to me ;-)

Unknown said...

Well I hope the machines are good and productive to you this weekend. g

SissySees said...

As you well know, I don't know squat about fabric, but I do know those are some pretties!

The Knight is much the same as your beloved when it comes to my shopping. "So, get it," is what I hear.

veedogknitter said...

It's ok that the textiles talk to you! My favorite yarn store lady always told me to "listen to the yarn, it WILL talk to you" She was right! I amy not always be the best listener though!

Katherine Roberts Aucoin said...

I can't wait to see what you sew up with all of these beautiful fabrics

Pam said...

I can't wait to see what you do with all the pretty fabric. I love the burgandy one too.

The Blonde Duck said...

I adore the rubber room. I spend lots of time there.

Sue said...

OHHHH, a new fabric store to check out late at night. Thank you Marjie.