Friday, January 16, 2009

Spice Cake

I can't believe I forgot to tell you about my spice cake on Wednesday! I blame it on my floor. Someone asked why we were replacing the floor. Here's the short answer:Lovely, wasn't it? It was like this in many places. Now, on to important things.

This is a really good cake. It's easy, it requires no frosting, it can be served warm - and when it's 2 degrees outside, you really appreciate warm - and it tastes good, besides. What more can anyone request of a cake (other than a lack of calories - can't help you there, sorry)? Adapted from the Ladies Home Journal cookbook from the late 1950s, this one is a keeper.

MERINGUE TOPPED SPICE CAKE

3/4 cup softened butter

2 cups brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
3 egg yolks
2-1/2 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp ginger
1/4 tsp nutmeg
2 tsp cinnamon

1 tsp salt
1-1/4 cups sour milk
3 egg whites
1/4 cup white sugar
dash cinnamon (or more, if you're Grace)
4 tbsp praline powder or chopped nuts


Cream the butter with the brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the vanilla, then the egg yolks, one at a time. Sift together the dry ingredients, and add in 2 additions, alternating with the sour milk. Beat until smooth. Pour into a 13x9 pan, and bake 1 hour. Just before the hour is up, whip the egg whites until foamy, then add the sugar and beat until stiff peaks form. Add the cinnamon and beat until combined. Remove the cake from the oven after one hour, quickly spread the meringue on top of it, sprinkle with praline powder or chopped nuts, and bake an additional 15 minutes. Serve warm or cold; no frosting necessary.
Thor tried to convince everyone that dogs like this cake, too, and I'm sure they do, but no one was sharing. He got a doggy treat instead.

Edited to add: To sour the milk, put 1 tablespoon of lemon juice or vanilla in the bottom of a measuring cup, then fill to the 1-1/4 cup line with milk. By the time you are ready to use it, it will be sour!

And I just realized that this is eligible to join Grace's lineup of cinnamon lovers' foods! Cool!

13 comments:

Darius T. Williams said...

This cake is looking MIGHTY good!

SissySees said...

Love spice cake, but I'll have to frost it... ;)

veedogknitter said...

awww, poor thor! What is sour milk...i am thinking it cannot be the obvious, which would be spoiled milk.

Katherine Roberts Aucoin said...

Thank you!!! I have everything to make this. I think I will devour this without coming up for air. Speaking of not coming up for air, I made your Italian Herb Bread last night. It is so simple! Don't even get me started on how delicious and beautiful it came out! I served it with soup and the girls only wanted to eat bread. I ate a chunk for breakfast this morning. Thanks for the wonderful recipes Margie! Have a wonderful weekend.

Katherine Roberts Aucoin said...

Ok I have one stupid question...how do I get the milk to sour? Leave it out at room temp for a while?

Pam said...

I was hoping you would post the recipe - I love spice cake.

grace said...

you're darn right it's eligible--perfect, in fact! send it along IMMEDIATELY. :)

Anonymous said...

I like that you used your praline powder!

The Blonde Duck said...

Yum! I'm entering my ode to cinnamon toast crunch to Grace's round up.

Don't let me forget to do that.

Sara said...

This sounds great. I really love meringue, I'm sure it makes a perfect topping for a cake like this!

Lakeland Jo said...

I am on a diet- this is not a good page for me to look at right now!!

Peter M said...

Yes, how could you? I like spicy cakes...some nice zing in there.

Donna-FFW said...

Looks wonderful and sounds delicious.