Monday, January 19, 2009

Football and Sewing

Saturday, a lot of progress was made on my hardwood floor. Sunday, not so much. After all, there was football to be watched!
To prevent me from being an overly attentive supervisor, I decided to sew on Saturday, and made two skirts from one of my favorite patterns. One is A-line, the other a full circle. Both are a black pattern, because I have a bad habit of starting something in one color, then going on to other things in the same color. I don't like to rethread my machines. The A-line skirt has a vivid floral pattern. I had bought this fabric for one of my daughters a few years back, but she never used it, so I snagged it. There wasn't enough fabric to make a waistband, so I faced it instead.
The circle skirt has a tiny embroidered pattern, reminiscent of eyelet, and is filmy and floaty. At least they kept me occupied for a while. And, sheesh, those are some ugly blurry photos, aren't they?

The boys enjoyed the football games, and who wouldn't with my wonderful commentaries: "I'm voting for those guys in the red outfits, because they're very snappy." "Watch that long haired number 11 dude in red. He did stuff last week." "Can the Eagles wear the red outfits, so I can vote for the home team again?" "Where's the 800 number to cast my vote again?" For the Super Bowl, I'll have a real dilemma - do I vote for Longhair #11 or for Troy the Longhair (who also does stuff) and the dude named for an awesome clock - "Big Ben"? Yes, I know better than that. But it's a way to amuse myself while watching something I don't terribly like with a group of people
I do terribly like. I also fed them LaBrea Tar Pit drumsticks, breadsticks, polynesian meatballs and orange ice cream. So they chuckle at my silly comments, and enjoy my food.
It was below 10 degrees here from Wednesday through Saturday, when it finally reached 14. Today, I've put the boys out in the yard to enjoy the balmy 27 degree weather, sled, and chase Thor around the yard. Until my breakfast room is reassembled, I'm afraid I'm a bit disorganized, and feel really stupid. Hope everyone else's life feels better today - Happy Monday!

13 comments:

veedogknitter said...

Oh, i am chuckling at your comments to! i call that one guy "long hair guy" too, because his hair covers his name, and even with all the football we watched last year ( i was in a fantasy league with the husband, AND we had the NFL Sunday Ticket) i STILL never learned his name. Big Ben though...i know who he is! he's the cute one!
mmm mmm, your food sounds wonderful!

The skirt is very cute, too. BTW, what temp do you keep the house at? It must be toasty warm to be able to dress like that...as i sit here with a scarf on in my living room! ;o)

Marjie said...

When it's under 15, the thermostat has to go to 73, so we don't end up with frozen pipes. Yes, that has happened to us several times. I even have a pipe thawing machine, so we don't have to pay a plumber any more (at least to thaw pipes). Now it's warmer, we drop back to 68 during the day, 62 at night. Sad. C'mon, Spring!

The Blonde Duck said...

I wish I could sew like you. I love your skirts!

Cayleigh said...

Ok, so you sewed two skirts AND prepared a feast? Those menfolk of yours are lucky dudes for sure! You look lovely, as you always do. I haven't seen you in this dark color, and it goes lovely with your complexion. That off the shoulders look is pretty, too.

The hardwood floor looks great. Will he stain it or just varnish? (I don't know if those are the right terms.) Glad your boys were able to get outside ... even 27 sounds COLD!

Paula said...

Argggh! Sorry, posted as my daughter again. The above msg was from me, not my offspring.

Unknown said...

Love those skirts. It's almost like the Eagles didn't want to win. Silly boys - I have an unhappy man in my house, but got alot of knitting done. Think I'll be routing for the boys in red, although I do like the one named for the clock. g

Pam said...

How I wish I could just sew a couple of skirts to pass the time. You are so talented!

Anonymous said...

I agree with you. Come on spring. Your floor is looking really nice. I couldn't imagine being able to make two skirts in one afternoon :>) You really go all out for your guys. They are lucky to have you. I hope you have a lovely evening.

Bunny said...

I wish I could sew, I really do. If I get a sewing machine will you teach me?? We are so darn happy the Steelers made it to the Super Bowl!! One of the girls at work calls Troy a "long haired freak" ! I don't think so!!!

Anonymous said...

You are so talented...cooking, sewing and EVERYTHING else..is there anything you can't do!

monica said...

I agree with Noble Pig - and also you look amazing! I am a big fan!! Of you and Thor...

Katherine Roberts Aucoin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Katherine Roberts Aucoin said...

You are too funny! I can imagine how they reacted to your comments. With all of the col weather, it looks like you are starting to get your spring wardrobe together, the skirt looks great!